S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Synthetic Oil

Old 10-14-2003, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil

We just bought a used 2002 s2000 with 3000 miles. Since it has been over a year, we decided to go ahead and change the oil. I took it to the local Honda dealership and had them change the oil. Mobil One synthetic oil was recommended by someone we knew and we asked the service department to use this oil. We payed $80 for this oil change and they charged $10/quart, they even had to go out and get it since it was not in stock.

After combing through these boards, I found several posts stating not to use synthetic oil until 10000 miles. What do we do now that we have already changed the oil to synthetic? Do we absolutely have to change it back to normal oil? What kind of damage will it cause?

Please advise.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Most feel that it will cause the engine to "break-in" at a much slower rate. If you want to change back to dino/conventional oil you won't have any problems.

$80 for an oil change? That is robbery. Mobil 1 should never be $10/qt.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:42 AM

The 2002 S2000 manual doesn't say anything about waiting 10000 miles before switching to synthetic oil -

I must have missed something somewhere -
Old 10-14-2003, 09:45 AM

Will it hurt if we wait until our next oil change to switch back? - 7500 miles

Do we need to switch back? We asked about the break-in period and someone told us it was within the first 1000 miles and it was already broken in.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well....it's all up to you really.

There have been people that switched to synthetic at their first oil change and have had no problems. Basically the consensus here on the board is that it is better to wait until @ 10,000 miles to switch over because it gives everything in the engine a chance to fully seat itself and fully break-in. Technically, YES, your engine was considered broken in by Honda at the 600 mile mark; but, from the experience garnered by people here it has been shown that the F20C continues to break-in over the first 10-15k miles.

Personally I think you will be alright leaving the oil in. Try a search on the subject and read some of the threads that discussed this in the past. You may find the answer you are looking for there.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The break-in period for various things is different in this car (well, every car for that matter.)

Go very easy on the brakes for the first 200 mi. This helps to keep them from glazing.

Under 600 mi/1000 km you should not VTEC

It has been recomended on this board (if not in the Honda manual) to avoid switching to synthetic until the cylinder walls are completely broken in. The cylinder walls are ceramic and as such are MUCH harder than cast iron or aluminum. The added friction and heavier viscosity of conventional oil help to wear in the cylinder walls. Notice that the engine burns oil (check your oil level every time you fill up.) When the motor STOPS burning oil (typically around 10,000mi) then switch to synthetic oil.

That is my plan at the reccomendation of MANY members of the board. I would not worry about leaving the Mobil 1 in until the next oil change. Just be sure to keep a closer than usual eye on the oil level because the engine will tend to burn more of the synthetic. I would reccomend refilling as necessiary with Mobil 1. Then at the next oil change, Castrol GTX.

Of course you are free to do whatever you like, it's your car. I am only offering my opinion and what I intend to do.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by disenador
The 2002 S2000 manual doesn't say anything about waiting 10000 miles before switching to synthetic oil -

There was a service advisory issued to dealers that cautions against switching to synthetic before 10,000 miles. It's been posted several times on this board - you should be able to find it with a search.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:48 AM

Mobil 1 is under $5/qt. at your local Target, Kragen, Wal-Mart, etc. -
Old 10-14-2003, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Honda synthetic oil advisory appears in this thread near the bottom:

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...oil+consumption
Old 10-14-2003, 12:29 PM

I have to thank everyone so far that has replied to this post - I can see that having a network of folks to help you is priceless! We love our S2000 and want to take care of it -

I did call Honda to verify if the Honda advisory for the 2000-01 S2000 still applies for 2002-03 and they told me that it didn't apply. Furthermore, they told me that I could use synthetic oil with my first oil change, which is 7500 miles or 1 year, the latter which applied to our s2000.

So - according to the consensus, the worst that can happen is that the break-in period for the piston rings, piston rod bearings, cam bearings, and crankshaft main bearings will be longer than usual because of the synthetic oil? Is that the worst that can happen?

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil