S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Switched to 10w30 Synthetic.. Car feels SLOWWWWW

Old 05-29-2003, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched to 10w30 Synthetic.. Car feels SLOWWWWW

So i got an oil change today and decided I would try the switch to synthetic since that is what I usually run in all my cars (my car is at about 32k miles.. so it is safe to switch) anyways.. After the oil change I take the car out for a little spin... the car feels horrificly slow.. I don't know if it is just in my mind or what.. But usually when vtec kicks in it feels pretty good.. when vtec kicked in today it literally felt VERY minute... Didn't feel "good"/"fast" as all.. Actually just felt REALLY slow... Any one know why this could be???? Thanks
Old 05-29-2003, 07:56 AM

Another great case for a $125 product (accelerometer), if even its purpose was used to simply calm the owner down. "Feel" and "truth" often are separated by tenths of seconds. Your car might actually be quicker by a .1 in the 1/4-mile but because that VTEC kick seems to be massaged, it wouldn't feel that way. Just a suggestion...otherwise, it's my best guess from afar that your car is running fine...give it a few days. These type of threads usually come around after some usage with the newbie synth.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:09 AM

After I switched it felt the same way, but I don't believe the performance has decreased, it should be the opposite. If you will notice, your fuel mileage will be higher, by about 2 or 3 MPG. The higher fuel mileage means more efficiency and that must come from reduced friction. The oil also acts as a thermal conductor so it will also carry heat out of the engine. So in theory, the engine temps would be lower in some areas. You can also VTEC or rev higher then you could with dino oil before the engine is fully up to temp. So my guess, the VTEC engagement is spread over a wider range of revs rather then a more specific point as compared to the dino oil. A dyno test would show if this is truly the case though.

Lance
Old 05-29-2003, 08:21 AM

Wow, I came back from lunch and did the exact same thing. I have about 23k miles on my S and for $40, I figured, what the hell, and went to syntch. Didn't get to VTEC yet, but the interstate is looking like fun...
Old 05-29-2003, 09:10 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

similar experience here... car is faster, but vtec transition is smoother- so it doesnt seem as fast-
i went to synthetic and then a few weeks later put on dual spugen exhaust. both changes caused this feeling-
now if i could just get the vtec to kick in at 4k instead of 6k!!
Old 05-29-2003, 09:12 AM

Which 10w30 Synthetic ? Mobil 1 or ...

Did you change it yourself or Dealer (Can you trust what they put is what they claim to have put)
Old 05-29-2003, 10:20 AM

Wanabe,

Just curious if you have any proof. As I mentioned above, I feel it is faster even though it feels slower.

Oras2k,

I use Mobil 1. It is readily available and doesn't break the bank. The first 1000 miles on a oil is where it really starts to breakdown and then levels off after that. Mobil tends to breakdown less then others in the same period, so it is a better quality oil. I don't know how it compares to the other much more expensive brands, but dollar for dollar, it is top notch.

I always bring my own oil, you never really know unless you see them actually put it in. Sometimes they give me what's left and other times they don't. I guess it depends on how much is left. Most mechanics are not going to steal it. For one, what are they getting, $20 worth of oil. If they get caught, they get fired. If the dealer is already unscrupulous, then I wouldn't take my car to them.

Lance
Old 05-29-2003, 11:21 AM

I just switched to 10w 30 mobil 1. give it a lil bit of time. youll realize that it's not slower
Old 05-29-2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by simioen
I just switched to 10w 30 mobil 1. give it a lil bit of time. youll realize that it's not slower
I take it that you have the smoother VTEC transition as well.

Lance
Old 05-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lanbrown
[B]Wanabe,

Just curious if you have any proof.

Quick Reply: Switched to 10w30 Synthetic.. Car feels SLOWWWWW