S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

swirl king

Old 11-01-2000, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ohhhhhhhhh ****tttt

i just washed my car with dawn...was gonig to wax it (well i did, but..)

the paint is TOAST!!! grrr i wish i had really looked at it b4 i bought the car (used). there are swirl marks like you would not believe...and they are fairly severe. some water marks look like they are etched into the paint...alot of chips, but i'm not worried about that. b4 i try the zaino like 4 times...what do you guys think? i know i askeds this before...but it is much worse that i had thought it was....can zaino really take care of it? the paint even looks a little dull (it's supposed to be black) in direct light. if not zaino...take it to a professional? how much would a full re-paint cost (yes, i'm seriously considering this)?

thanx guys...hopefully i can get this car as blingy as the rest of yours....
Old 11-01-2000, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things:

1.) Don't use dishwashing soap to wash your car...

2.) Use a swirl removing product like Meguiars Swirl Remover.

Keep in mind that black shows ALL imperfections and swirls...so it may never be "good enough" ... but I know people have had good results with swirl removers on black cars. I have never owned a black car...but I hear good things about those types of products.

Old 11-01-2000, 10:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens:
[B]Two things:

1.) Don't use dishwashing soap to wash your car...

2.) Use a swirl removing product like Meguiars Swirl Remover.
Old 11-01-2000, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, wow. I don't use Meguiars, except for the Endurance tire treatment. I use Zymol wash, wax and leather treatment. Hard to believe that the Meguiars Swirl Remover didn't do anything. Hmmm, I don't know, man...! I am sure someone who has more experience with black cars can help more than I can!

I have friends who have black S2000's and they look wet and your fingers just slip and slide on the paint to the touch.

You need someone with a black S2000 to chime in here...

Bueller?! Help this man! Good luck!

Old 11-01-2000, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chill man! It will be okay. The paint looks like total sh!t after washing with dawn. Dont panic. Mine did too. Simply go ahead and apply the Zaino per instructions. One coat and you will know.
Old 11-02-2000, 04:36 AM

Same problem here with the wife's V6. After the Dawn wash everything shows up big time. It's black also. And the Dawn wash is a one time wax remover. Use the Z7 to wash after the Zaino is on. Follow the instructions with the Zaino. Keep applying coats of Z5 until your satisfied with the swirl marks. I ended up with three coats I think. Then start with the Z2. You can always go back to the Z5 if you think the swirlys need more attention. I really think you'll like the results.
Old 11-02-2000, 04:38 AM

Also, if you have any surface contaminants/imperfections, try using a clay bar prior to polish/wax. It made a big difference on my black Prelude. Just make sure you use plenty of lubricant as you use the clay bar.

Mike
Old 11-02-2000, 04:47 AM

I have a black S2000, I use three steps from meguiars (1)Paint Cleaner #2 (2)Polish #7 (3)Wax #26 all of these are the pro series ( the sand color bottles). You may whant to do like two or three times the #7 (I do them with a polisher) and them the wax. My car looks great, I wax it 2 times per month.
Old 11-02-2000, 04:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Clay it!! This will remove all the imperfections in the clearcoat. Then wash and apply a couple coats of wax. I know there are some Zaino fans out there, but I used Pinnacle products with excellent results.
Old 11-02-2000, 05:24 AM

If you go with the Zaino use the Z-18 Claybar, Z-1 pre-cleaner, Z-5 swirl mark and fine scratch remover, Z-2 show car polish, and Z-6 gloss enhancer...in that order. I think you'll be satisfied with the results.

Quick Reply: swirl king