S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Suzuka blue - horrible paint match

Old 04-21-2003, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuka blue - horrible paint match

I just had my rear bumper cover replaced after a rear end collision. The paint match was way off. I is very noticeably lighter. I understand that the plastic holds paint different than the metal body, but it is not close to matching the front bumper cover either. The body shop I used in Phoenix was highly recommended. Has anyone else had a hard time matching this color? Should I just live with it or have them try again? Suggestions?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:46 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

The same paint will not look different on the plastic versus the metal.

It is difficult to match some of the S2000 colors, as I know from personal experience.

My paint job also didn't match perfectly, but after blending, it is really beautiful. Everyone who has seen the repair in person is very impressed.

I posted pics of the mismatch, before, and after the blending in my repair thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=101423

I've learned a lot after going through this body repair- let me know if there is any way I can help.

Good luck!

-Pete
Old 04-22-2003, 06:15 AM

Park your car under a parking lot light at night and take a gander. The plastic fascias look purple.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by Kodokan_4
The same paint will not look different on the plastic versus the metal.

It is difficult to match some of the S2000 colors, as I know from personal experience.

I must disagree. Metallic or pearlescent paints may 'take' a bit differently on plastic than on metal. A body shop employee explained to me that the metal flakes are somewhat affected by a phenomenon best described as 'static cling,' and metal and plastic are inherently a bit different. Suzuka blue is certainly a metallic color, and that may be the reason for less than perfect match. I have often observed this difference of bumper vs. metal surface on brand new car which have almost certainly not experienced refinishing.
I recently had my New Formula Red bumper repainted, and the color match was excellent. I will probably eat those words after a year or two of different fading.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:44 PM

When I had my electron blue pearl '00 civic partially repainted due to some damage last year, the initial matching was terrible. The owner of the body shop (a friend of mine) pointed it out and asked if I noticed the difference. When I agreed that there was a diffinate difference he told me that he'd just gotten into an argument with the painter who claimed the paint was a perfect match. Long story short, it was repainted (for free obviously).

I was told by the owner that with that particular colour (I'm sure the suzuka blue is similar) there are usually a number of different variations as result of the matalic particles in the paint. Everytime a new batch is mixed (at Honda) a slightly different shade is inevitable. As result, if the painter is not an experienced colour matcher, the likelyhood of the paint mismatching is very high. Honda does supply paint chips with every new batch of paint it mixes which are apparently avaliable to body shops on request.

If the paint job doesn't match on your car, you should definately get them to repaint it. It sounds like a similar situation to my own. Hope this helps. Cheers.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the help toosteely. I will ask about repainting and using the color chips from Honda to assure a better match. Hopefully blending is not my only option, but thanks for the suggestion Pete. Allstate has a satisfaction guarantee, so I might start with talking to my agent. I will let you know how it turns out. The mismatch is not subtle. My wife even noticed.

-Terry
Old 04-23-2003, 08:32 PM

I had to replace my front bumper cover, and the blue has a slight purple cast to it. I noticed the shift on the car when new also, although not as prominent as now. It is hard to match on the plastic, but since the font cover is so low, I don't worry about it.