S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

A Survey between a 01 or 02

Old 11-09-2001, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Survey between a 01 or 02

if you could do it all over again, would you save 2k and buy a new 01 s2000 or a new 02 s2000 at list price?
Old 11-09-2001, 04:55 AM

I am glad I waited and bought a 2002. The changes are more than worth the small amount of extra money. If your going to drive this car and you have the choice of model years why not wait until you can afford the extra money and get the better car? It would be interested to hear if anyone can tell me what advantage a 2001 has over the 2002 besides less money, all things being equal (i.e. not the different colors).
Old 11-09-2001, 06:45 AM

I'm glad I got the 2001 for a couple of reasons. I've had my car for longer, and I also don't like the Sebring Silver too much, but I love the Silverstone. Would I like the upgraded stereo and window? Sure...but I'd give those up for the color. I'm also not a fan of the chrome bits on the inside and outside...it doesn' seem to match the character of the car, IMO.
Old 11-09-2001, 07:00 AM

I agree w/Jay...I have silverstone, and like that color better than the new silver. And, if I had red interior, I definitely wouldn't go with the new model year(to much red). However, unlike Jay, I like the silver accents, and of course, the window & upgraded stereo would be nice.....but not enough to give up my silverstone!
Old 11-09-2001, 07:34 AM

salto: I recently faced the same decision and I came to the conclusion that buying a year old car even for 2 g's under MSRP wouldn't be the wisest decision. Here's why:

1) the upgrades (except for the red interior) for the '02 rock!
2) the upgrades (except for the red interior) for the '02 rock!
3) the upgrades (except for the red interior) for the '02 rock!
4) 2 g's over 5 or 6 years is a trivial difference in your monthly payment.
5) the upgrades (except for the red interior) for the '02 rock!

of course some of the '01 owners will tell you that the rear window is too small, the interior accents are gay, the clock - who needs it, the transmission sucks, the shift knob is lame etc.

There have been more threads on this topic so see if you can do a search to find better info than I have given.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2001, 07:40 AM

2001. Red interior is better. The 02' red interior fits what a member descibed as "it needs a tampon."

2001. The gearbox had "some" revisions from the 2000 model.

2001. I couldn't wait any much longer than 8 torturing weeks.

And the 02' glass window ..... it's only a matter of time for the retro-fit kit to come around.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:43 PM

Red/black interior and Silverstone are like big boobs on your girlfriend. It just doesn't get any better.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:57 PM

... I have an '02 Sebring Silver with black interior. I waited four months longer to get the newer model, and the fact that the '02 price increase was so minimal was the major factor. I like the chrome accents, love my color, I replaced the new gearshift with a Voodoo Ti, and I really appreciate the glass window, but I really wanted the '01 red color scheme.

So I think it all comes down to the fact that there will always be compromise in life, the key is to be happy with what you have and not worry about what you don't have. Anyone who owns one of these wonderful cars, no matter what year or color, should be completely satisfied, not wanting.
Old 11-09-2001, 02:25 PM

I am very happy with my 2001. I agree with Jay and s2k fanatic that the silverstone has much more depth than the new silver, but also agree that a glass window and better stereo would have been nice, but I never will drive with the top up unless it is raining (haven't yet!), and a stereo upgrade is fairly easy.

All years of this car are awesome.

For me, it came down to timing. I wanted mine as quickly as possible.... could die tomorrow!

Oh yeah, Shark - something that is REALLY good is best described as "soapy tits!"
Old 11-09-2001, 03:25 PM

I too could not wait and went ahead with MY 01. I prefer the silverstone vs. the sebring, also the rear window was not an issue for me because I plan on purchasing the hardtop. But everything aside getting the car (considerably) below MSRP was the big factor in deciding between the MY 01 and MY 02.

2 - 3K dollars might be trivial on a long term monthly payment but up front it could mean a hard top or mugen header + exhaust or 18 inch rims... the list goes on and on.....

-machokow

Quick Reply: A Survey between a 01 or 02