S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

super charger?

Old 01-21-2003, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super charger?

Does a supercharger do any harm to an engine. I know the basics of how it works, but was wondering if it's harder on the engine.
Just picked up my S2000 Friday and man I'm impressed with the handling so far. Can't wait until the break in period is over, but that will be a while since the weather in Ohio suck right now.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sure there are strong views on both sides of this discussion. There have been many thread about it. Try to search using "Comptech", "Vortech", "supercharger" to see them all.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:52 AM

Anything that increases HP increases stress on the engine. There is no free lunch. It seems from reading the treads on here that the engine can take the extra stress however the drive train can not. I am also thinking of adding power however I will not do it until I can rebuild the drivetrain to take the power. I also will probably wait until the car is out of warranty since once the SC is on most of your warranty will not be in force.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:32 AM

I am in the process of going S/C as we speak and truely, it is the only cost efficient was to get big performance gains on an S2000. Yes, if you launch race-I don't-you will tear it up quick, but for open raod fun there is nothing like the feeling of 358 HP/214ft lbs! Plan on a new clutch to go alnong with the S/C. I have only 2500 miles on mine so I'm hoping I can get at least a few more miles out of it while I save my pennies for the ACT clutch. The car runs fine stock, so unless you are mad about power, don't bother. Just enjoy your fine piece of machinery!!!

The sick man-Phil
Old 01-21-2003, 12:08 PM

I read in an australian magazine that the designers of the tranny made it to support 400rwhp. Obviously with the more power, you will have more stress, but as long as your not dropping the clutch at 7k all the time, you shouldnt have a problem.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no free lunch.
Damnit...I thought the memo said Tuesday's were free.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by VTECPHIL#6829
I am in the process of going S/C as we speak and truely, it is the only cost efficient was to get big performance gains on an S2000. Yes, if you launch race-I don't-you will tear it up quick, but for open raod fun there is nothing like the feeling of 358 HP/214ft lbs! Plan on a new clutch to go alnong with the S/C. I have only 2500 miles on mine so I'm hoping I can get at least a few more miles out of it while I save my pennies for the ACT clutch. The car runs fine stock, so unless you are mad about power, don't bother. Just enjoy your fine piece of machinery!!!

The sick man-Phil
Since you are just putting on a supercharger, the stock clutch will be more than sufficient. Its good for at least 400hp at the flywheel. Save your money for mods you really need.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jerrypeterson
[B]

Since you are just putting on a supercharger, the stock clutch will be more than sufficient.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
I am very encouraged by your statement.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:17 PM

Is there a "Supercharger 101" primer somewhere on the site? I searched but couldnt find one. A few questions maybe someone can help with:

1. Does the SC cause engine components to wear out quicker? (I presume so - 'no free lunch' right?). Any experience with how long engine will last normal vs SC'd?

2. What are common issues/problems associated with the SC.

3. Does the SC void your Honda factory warranty? What if if is put on at a Honda dealer?

4. How does the SC affect fuel consumption/mileage?

5. How should you modify your auto insurance (if at all) following the add-ons? I suppose it would add to cost if properly disclosed & insured.

6. Lastly, how often do you get busted for speeding, post SC?

It seems people think the drivetrain can handle the added power.

Thanks for any help - or references - anyone can provide.

Quick Reply: super charger?