S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Suggestions on getting car into garage

Old 08-02-2005, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Aug 2 2005, 07:11 PM
Call the contractor,and have the driveway fixed.
heh. Try reversing it in?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by sonicjai,Aug 2 2005, 01:35 PM
I went to home depot last nite wondering if I can buy 2 wooden boards and line them up so I can use as a ramp to get into my garage but the guys there said no wooden board can withstand the weight of a car. Now frankly the car is going to be running over the boards about 2-3 seconds really quick and the clearance from the ground will be just a few inches barely giving me enough room without too much damage to the car.
First of all...The Home Depot guys are full of I built a set of wooden ramps that I use often to repair my cars. In fact, I have been using them for years with no problem. I even built a set using 8X8 timber's to support my 12 ton backhoe! A wooden board will work for your car.

How high is your garage? If it is only a couple of inches, you should be able to lay a board flat on the ground. If it is laid flat, it will support the weight and you should have no problem driving over it. If you post some pics, I'll give you my recommendation of board size.

I have 2 cut sections of a 2X8 that I need to take with me to the alignment shop. I place them in front of the alignment rack which allows me to drive the car onto the rack without scraping. If I don't use the boards, the front of the car is so low that the front lip will scrape the rack.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:29 PM

the standard Douglas Fir that Home Depot sells should most definetly support your car for the few seconds it will take to drive over the ramps...I hate H.D. though so I say go and support your local Lumber Yard. Btw wood ramps work great for getting lowered cars up off the ground enough to fit a floor jack under them.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by suprfunguy,Aug 3 2005, 12:15 AM
First of all...The Home Depot guys are full of I built a set of wooden ramps that I use often to repair my cars. In fact, I have been using them for years with no problem. I even built a set using 8X8 timber's to support my 12 ton backhoe! A wooden board will work for your car.

How high is your garage? If it is only a couple of inches, you should be able to lay a board flat on the ground. If it is laid flat, it will support the weight and you should have no problem driving over it. If you post some pics, I'll give you my recommendation of board size.

I have 2 cut sections of a 2X8 that I need to take with me to the alignment shop. I place them in front of the alignment rack which allows me to drive the car onto the rack without scraping. If I don't use the boards, the front of the car is so low that the front lip will scrape the rack.
Yea i thought the Home Depot guys are full of bs too so thats why i don't believe them... I will try to take pics tonite and post them here for you guys to take a look at... i just need an extra few inches for support but i'll let you guys make the final assumption... thanks!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:23 PM

Here are 2 pics of my driveway from a side view so you can see the slope and how it scrapes my car real bad to the point where i cant even get it in.

What do you guys recommend ???
Old 08-03-2005, 04:43 PM

Hell, I would go to a scrap metal shop and see if they have a small sheet of steel, that way you can just lay the sheet of steel over the dip and the water can still run beneath it.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:17 PM

That can be an option.. but how heavy would that sheet of metal actually be?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:12 PM

Is that area for drainage?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:20 PM

A few suggestions:

1. ramps. You may need some additional support in the middle of the ramp to help support the weight if the ramps are long.
With ramps you are going to have to try driving in and reversing out over the skinny ramps all the time (not much room for error).

2. crushed rock - fill ditch with crushed gravel.rock. It should allow for some water drainage. Mesh over any drainage pipes to prevent rocks filling it up.

3. Concrete over - maybe need to put a drainage pipe under the conrete and a grate, if water is a problem here.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:01 PM

VTEC

Quick Reply: Suggestions on getting car into garage