S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Which Subwoofer best for s2000?

Old 02-08-2001, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a suggestion on something to do. I took my car to I think the best audio installer in Toronto (Kromer radio). He recommended that I put a 10 inch in the trunk and he designed a box that would NOT sacrifice any space at all. He took out the entire enclosure that holds the tool box and designed a box that fit that space exactly. In the box he put a Boston Pro 10 inch because it puts up the best sound reproduction requiring the least amount of enclosure space. My trunk now as a ten inch flush in the bottom of the trunk.

The result is that I can still hold my spare in case of a flat and I can put in the original tob box in case I want to sell the car. Everything will go back like stock. As for the sound transfer he drilled very small holes in the back of the truck that correspond with the vent behind the seat then covered to holes with the same type of fabic. You do not know the holes are there unless you run your hand over the rear wall of the trunk

DAMN good job... no loss of space.... great sound transfer

BTW I am running the apline vf407 v12 amp enclosed beside the spare tire
Old 02-08-2001, 10:12 AM

Just out of curiousity would the head unit on the 2000MY be able to handle the Clarion subwoofer under the seat. If so could it handle one under each seat?
Old 02-08-2001, 10:15 AM

i was wondering if you can install woofers behind the seats?
Old 02-08-2001, 10:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by T.O.-S2K

The result is that I can still hold my spare in case of a flat . . .
Does that mean you can remove the enclosure to put the flat in there? That tool kit does need to come out so you can close the trunk.

On the last 3 install's I did in drop tops, I was very supprised at the actual transfer ability the cars had.
The guy who said you wont hear whats in the trunk must not have had any/much experience in that area (convertables)

I know that Sondra is helping out with a custom enclosure for an 8" or 10" that will fit in the side of the trunk.
I am integrating an enclosure into the rear deck for an 8" DVC. I didnt want to give up ANY space at all and wanted full use of the spare without taking anything out.

Heh, temporarily Im using a box I made that uses a 6 1/2" with about 25 watts pushing it, I have always been impressed by that one box, especially since I came up with the dimensions accidentally!

It would be real tough to install drivers directly behind the seats, just because of the way the car is made. It is like a metal tub.
Old 02-08-2001, 10:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Swurvydel
[B]Just out of curiousity would the head unit on the 2000MY be able to handle the Clarion subwoofer under the seat.
Old 02-08-2001, 12:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Swurvydel
[B]Just out of curiousity would the head unit on the 2000MY be able to handle the Clarion subwoofer under the seat.
Old 02-08-2001, 12:34 PM

Just a side note... the Honda sub for the Odyssey is going to be released on the 15th and the others "soon after". The Odyssey one is $179 with the attachment kit. Don't know what the S2000 one will run yet, still no real solid information on it.

-Trevor
Old 02-08-2001, 12:52 PM

On the Clarion product, I have a friend who has one in his Civic. It makes a difference, as it makes up for the lack of low frequency sound from the stock door speakers. However, it's not really comparable to your average car stereo subwoofer. That 6(1/2) driver just can't move enough air to produce enough loud clean bass for a lot of people....me included. I would recommend letting a stereo shop demo one for you before buying.
Old 02-08-2001, 06:01 PM

Eairler in this post someone mentioned you cant hear a sub in the trunk. I disagree. I made a box that sits ontop of the toolbox and is flush with the trunk floor. I used a rockford 12" #2812. I'm constantly turning down the bass, it hits so hard I feel like a punk!!!!

Has anyone looked at the back of our stock radio?? There are 4 speaker outputs but only 2 are wired.

I found some slide connectors that are the same size as the stock ones (female 22 gauge) and i'm going to try to pull power from the rear outputs which should allow me to use the fader to balance the sub.
Old 02-08-2001, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by cmnsnse
Originally posted by T.O.-S2K

The result is that I can still hold my spare in case of a flat . . .
Does that mean you can remove the enclosure to put the flat in there? That tool kit does need to come out so you can close the trunk. .

no, you misunderstand me....

The enclosure for the sub takes the place of the tool box. While other have an enclosure that takes up the space intended to hold the flat tire my enclosure is flush with the bottom of the trunk. I guess the magnet is "below" the trunk in the enclosure. The tools are now in a pouch in the wheel well. I have the tool "box" sitting in my garage. Keeping it in case I want to put the car back to stock.

I will try and get a digital camera to show pics of trunk.

Quick Reply: Which Subwoofer best for s2000?