S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Which Subwoofer best for s2000?

Old 02-07-2001, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was recently trying to decide between the Infinity Basslink(trunk) and the clarion(under seat). I initially decided that the Basslink in the trunk would probably be able to produce a lot more quality bass and its only shortfall was loss of some trunk space. However an installer who usually does the clarion in the s2000 just told me I would not be albe to hear a sub placed in the trunk since the car was a convertible. So I said powered subs seem to do pretty well in the z3 so why not in the s2000. His answer was that the s2000 has too much metal blocking the sound while their are portals in the z3 for sound to pass.

I know some have the clarion under the seat and are happy with it. Any of you who has a sub in the trunk think they would have been better off just getting something like the smaller clarion.

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-07-2001, 03:08 PM

My understanding is that the basslink will not fit in the side of the trunk or the tool compartment. Where are you going to mount the basslink? Also, I would love to get some comments from owners who have installed the clarion on how it sounds under the seat. Has anyone designed a custom enclosure for the trunk yet? Sandy?
Old 02-07-2001, 03:50 PM

I'm not familiar at all with the basslink (is it tube type?), but unless it does something different from a regular enclosed sub, that guy is full of crap. I have a JL Audio 8" enclosed sub in the "well" in the trunk and it produces plenty of bass. I bought this sub purely on the recommendation of the installer (whom I trust), so I can't really recommend anything other than to say just buy a good quality product.

I don't even see how you can fit something under the seat!
Old 02-07-2001, 04:07 PM

I have 2-8" JL subs in the spare tire area and lots of pounding bass too much for my liking, thinking of getting rid of the box and go for the clarion under seat. I have heard it on the S2000 and for my ears it sounds great.

Heres a pic of the 2 JL subs mounted in the spare tire area

Old 02-07-2001, 04:53 PM

The basslink consists of a 10 inch woofer and another 10 inch passive woofer around a 200 watt class D amp. Many are for sale on ebay if you would like to see one. I was planning to mount it on top of the board covering the tool area. It would be very easy to remove it when trunk space is needed.

The clarion is an 8 inch woofer with a 160 watt class D amp. It is very thin and small. It definetily fits under the seat easily. It doesn't produce an incredible amount of bass but it adds and blends well with other speakers (so I've heard) Not recommended for those looking for "stomping" bass. I'd love to hear from someone who actually has the basslink.
Old 02-07-2001, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by charlie
[B]I have 2-8" JL subs in the spare tire area and lots of pounding bass too much for my liking, thinking of getting rid of the box and go for the clarion under seat. I have heard it on the S2000 and for my ears it sounds great.
The following users liked this post:
Pete157 (07-22-2021)
Old 02-08-2001, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My solution is a Orion XTR 10" DVC sub. I have the amp mounted above the gas tank to the left of the spare tire. I rigged up some quick disconnects for the speaker wire. It POUNDS the bass out and when I need to head to the mountains for weekend, I can simply take it out! I am also powering some infinity kappa seperates in the front. I am extremely happy with the set up.

You can find the Orions very cheap at http://www.ubid.com/cat/1016.asp
Old 02-08-2001, 07:16 AM

I just ordered a Bazooka EL-10A HP amplified 10" bass tube from ubid.com Brand new in box with a 1 year bazooka warranty, it was only $170 plus shipping!

I'm just going to put it into the trunk above the tool kit area.
Old 02-08-2001, 07:19 AM

Can anyone provide a link to the under the seat sub? Anyone use one? Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2001, 09:07 AM

Here's the Clarion. (Not advocating this site, just found the pic here). http://www.discountcarstereo.com/Clarion/psw160.htm

Quick Reply: Which Subwoofer best for s2000?