S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Stupid soft tops! Why can't s2k's be hard top convertable! lol

Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid soft tops! Why can't s2k's be hard top convertable! lol

So my soft top is a mess, it needs to be replaced but idk how to change out the soft top. I found a great thread on step by step instructions but I don't think I really want to attemp that myself, it looks a bit complicated. So I'm thinking well shoot for the price I get a soft top I might as well spend a bit more and go with a hard top, but either way I need to patch the top better because I still want the convertable aspect of the car even if I have a hard top. I don't plan to convert it. Right now I have black duck tape which is working ok but looks terrible. Anybody have any good methods to patching a soft top or is there any local person near orlando fl with experience in changing out a top? I need to take care of this issue soon...
Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My patch method if you don't mind a bit of a splotch on the top (clear glue), sew it up all along the tear, then cover it with DEVCON Weldit All Purpose Adhesive (All Purpose Adhesive and Vinyl Mender) on the top and bottom.
I just got my paint in the mail and have to play with it on Saturday.
http://www.zjstech.net/SpyderTop/repair.htm
I thought to myself, if you're painting over it, why remove the stitching. Leave the stitching so it reinforces it and holds it together every time you put the top down, then use a stronger adhesive then what's provided with the glue kit to waterproof the tiny holes you made stitching and the crack.
I've been putting my top down for a week now with no problem since I patched it, but my tear I noticed it literally the first or second time I put the top down and it tore, I just got an impulse to check my top and there was barely an outline on the outside and way more torn on the inside with light coming in.
Will take a picture tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:00 AM

So can I use that patch on the inside and out? I've tried to sow mine but it's so dried out the stitching will just pull out after a while. I need to patch the inside and outside. As long as it's water proof or that seal with the iron is strong enough for the outside I should be good.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That seal with the iron was the guy's own little thing, said "The iron on patch is the Bondex brand, sold at Walmart in the fabric department. It's a nice, tight weaved, black cloth with heat activated backing. Costs a whopping $1 for two good sized patches."
It might be worth finding this weekend for me I suppose. Better than putting duck tape on the interior. Why is your soft top "dry"? Never cleaned/protected?
I like 303 products since I can use the UV Protectant on the interior as well, no way I would be able to use a whole bottle on my top, not in ten years at least.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:08 AM

Ya it's old man :-/ I bought the car with the top in this condition...