S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Stupid question, but would like to know

Old 10-30-2001, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure about why twice VS once, thats some technical stuff. BUT, I can tell you this, you know how some members complain about the notchy feeling going into 3rd from 2nd? When you do the clutch twice, going into 3rd would make you think if the gear is there at all because you feel nothing, and it almost feels like the shifter got sucked into the gate.

I agree to what Schatten said, speed will come with more confidence. The amount of time a S2k enthusiast spends in a S2000 should be plenty for practice.

Another tip, tennis shoes, sandals or flat-bottom foot wear improves the feeling on pedal position.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Matching revs and double-clutching are two different things. You customarily match revs while double-clutching (on downshifts) to do what the synchros are also doing internally in the gearbox, that is matching the speeds of the gears being engaged to prevent crunching and gear damage. It is a holdover from the old days before Porsche developed the modern-day synchros when double-clutching was necessary to smoothly engage both up- and downshifts.

Matching revs accomplishes a smooth lurch-free downshift so the internal rotating speed of the engine and therefore the transmission matches the output speed going to the driveshaft and therefore to the rear wheels. Matchhing revs on downshifts can be done without double clutching and should be done regularly to avoid shock to the driveline as well as possible "hopping" of the rear wheel if slow engine speed "drags" against higher rear-wheel speed when the back is unloaded during deceleration.

And by the way the pedal placement on our S2000's is not good for all this fancy footwork. It seems to work better for me if I use my heel on the brake and my toe on the accelerator.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:18 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob Moss
[B]
And by the way the pedal placement on our S2000's is not good for all this fancy footwork.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by MarkS2K
By the way, there's no such thing as a stupid question here on the board.
Mark, you obviously don't read the Muppet Threads then!!! )
Old 10-31-2001, 07:29 AM

And by the way the pedal placement on our S2000's is not good for all this fancy footwork. It seems to work better for me if I use my heel on the brake and my toe on the accelerator. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm kind of the opposite of pidgeon toed, so I generally have a hard time doing this, but the pedals are close enough on my S2k that I can easily put the left side of the ball of my right foot on the brake and the right side of my foot and heel on the gas. Double clutch down shifts are a breeze with this car. My old Talon was virtually impossible because the brake and gas were separated by so much distance.
Old 10-31-2001, 08:42 AM

Some who have driven my S find that the pedals are perfect for toe/heel however I find that my feet are too narrow. Even with the very edge of my foot on the brake, I can't twist out my heel enough to reach the gas. As a winter project, i want to put a simple aluminum extension tap on the gas to make this easier.

bill
Old 10-31-2001, 09:08 AM

This is NOT double-clutching. I don't see how this helps anything at all, really, to rev the engine up to a speed that the car won't be able to match in the next gear???

In my understanding, double-clutching is an extension of rev-matching in that not only are you matching the engine revs to the soon-to-be-engine speed of the next gear, but you are also matching the syncrhos/layshaft speed to the soon-to-be synchro/layshaft speed of the next gear (so that the synchros don't have to do anything and gear shifts will be quicker with less wear-and-tear). The reason for letting up on the clutch while the gear selector is in neutral is to make the layshaft go the same speed as the engine (so that as the engine decelerates or accelerates, the layshaft stays the same speed). Basically, double clutching is putting the car in neutral and letting up on the clutch, rev-matching to the next gear, and then depressing the clutch, selecting the next gear, and letting up on the clutch very fast. Done right, it should be smooth.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xfactor834
[B]There should be other threads about this, but here goes:

Keep in mind it's 2am, so forgive me if I blabber.

For upshifting...

Let's say you're in 2nd, and you're doing about 45, and you want to upshift to 3rd.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but isn't double clutching only for if there is no synchronizer in the gearbox?

I am now confused.
Old 10-31-2001, 02:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Incubus
[B]but isn't double clutching only for if there is no synchronizer in the gearbox?