S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Street Drag Racing

Old 08-28-2001, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Drag Racing

Every day I read posts from fellow members about their defeats on city streets and highways. People brag about doing 110+ and even 130+ on a public highway. I dont know if I'm alone but this kinda disturbs me a little. Not that I'm doubting anyones driving ability but at that speed all it takes is the littlest of mistakes from you or someone else on the road and disaster can happen.

Just yesterday I heard of an accident in New Jersey where an 18yr old girl died after swerving out of the way of 2 drag racers and she put her VW into a pole.

I didnt right this post to sound like your Mama lecturing you, I just want everyone to be safe. So try and keep your racing on racetracks or in my case I have an old military airport in my neighborhood that hasnt been used in years. Just keep it off public streets and roadways.

Maybe we can get something started on this website where we post local racetracks or secluded places (like abandoned airports and such)
Old 08-28-2001, 06:57 AM

Man are you lucky to have your own track in your neighborhood. I'd suggest though, that you might just want to avoid the Street Encounters forum if this stuff disturbs you. That's why it is segregated.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcasta02
[B]Every day I read posts from fellow members about their defeats on city streets and highways.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:12 AM

My only comment is that you intentionally mix two separate issues: two cars racing down city streets and driving fast on highways.

On a dark, desert highway, cool wind in my hair, I just might accelerate up to 140mph on an empty, straight stretch of road for a mile or so. In my opinion, I am probably safer doing 140mph in the middle of the desert than driving the speed limit in the city. That is not the same thing as doing 90mph down city streets, changing lanes, dodging traffic.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:20 AM

I'm not sugesting that we never break the speed limit because frankly with the kind of car we have that is just not possible. I'm just saying that drag racing with another car on a city street or crowded highway is just stupid and not worth putting my life or others lives in danger.

I guess it is different for me though because I live in brooklyn and the streets and highways are crowded where ever you go. I guess it is different for all of you guys who live out in the more rural areas.

I was just suggesting that we keep the racing part of driving to the track.