S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Strange Starter Problem

Old 11-05-2000, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inserted the key this morning and pressed the big red start button. Typically the car will immediately turn-over. However, this time the starter cranked but no ignition. I pressed the button a little longer. Still nothing. I attempted to use a little gas during start-up...still nothing. This was certainly not a battery problem as the starting was cranking away with extreme prejudice. Next, I turned the key off and then back on. Pressed the start button and it started normally. Drove just fine to my destination where it sat for a few hours. Upon the next start-up it worked as normal. Not sure if turning the key off and then on again was just a coincidence or perhaps the car or immobolizer needed to be reset? I have never seen this happen and hopefully won't again. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 11-05-2000, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott, I just read the fine manual this morning ('cause I just got my car yesterday) and you had a "normal" malfunction of the immobilizer system. If the code on the key doesn't match what the immobilizer expects, it blocks the fuel pump from working. Turning off and trying again is the solution.

If your problem becomes recurrent, the dealer will have to replace your keys (all three) and reprogram the immobilizer to match the keys. Or maybe I have it backwards. Anyway, this is no big concern.

Barry
Old 11-05-2000, 01:34 PM

Had this problem too during cold weather. Symptoms were like yours. My mistake was to press the starter button for a very short time like i do every time when the temp was higher.

My solution was to press it long for the FIRST time when you want to start the car(until the car starts). If you stop and then press again, the signs like you described would come on again. Never had problem since.

Try it and see what happens.
Old 11-05-2000, 01:34 PM

ScottB,
Do you have a Mobil SpeedPass by any chance?
Old 11-05-2000, 09:55 PM

Thanks all for your replies. I do believe the problem was a glitch in the immobilizer system. It has been 9 months since I first got the car and read the manual, so that bit of refresher was helpful. It is not that cold here in Seattle and I have done short start presses that have failed before without further incident (i.e. the next press started normally unlike what occurred today). After the key on/off try worked, the immobilizer is the first thing that came to mind. Of course time will tell, however, I am hopeful no further issues will occur.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2000, 10:10 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

honda_s2k, no need for those out here
Old 11-06-2000, 05:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT:
[B]honda_s2k, no need for those out here
Old 11-06-2000, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by honda_s2k:

I thought you could pump your own gas in WA. I know that it is not allowed in OR.
Yes, we can pump our own gas. They even allow us out after dark, something our neighbors to the south are still working on...

Old 11-06-2000, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by honda_s2k:
ScottB,
Do you have a Mobil SpeedPass by any chance?
Is there an issue with having a programmed key and a speed pass in proximity?
Old 11-06-2000, 05:42 PM

if there is (an issue with a speedpass) a problem, I have never had in it in 12 months...

Quick Reply: Strange Starter Problem