S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Strange occurence at the pump today...

Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange occurence at the pump today...

so yesterday night im going to finish off my winterization duties and am heading to the pump to top off the tank. At home, i pour the required amount of fuel stabilizer into a jerry can since the stabilizer didn't have a spout for pouring into the gas tank directly, so i figure ill pour it into the jerry can, fill the jerry can with a little fuel to mix it up, and then pour that in, and finally top the tank off with the pump.

I do exactly this and everything is going well until suddenly this happens. I hear the sound of the car/pump go quiet (meaning approaching full) and i expect the pump handle to click like normal. Then, i hear it get very quiet, and the pump handle is still depressed, and i turn my head to the pump to see how many litres have gone in, when i hear splashing behind me. I quickly turn around and let go of the pump trigger to notice gas spilling out of the fill hole! It goes everywhere and i freak out.

I quickly went home and re-washed the area where the gas had spilled.

A few questions for everyone, if i missed a tiny spot to re-wash where gas has touched, is it going to hurt my S at all? I feel i was pretty thourough though.

Also, does anyone know why the pump did this?

Did using the jerry can screw something up in the sensors?

Is the tank actually full after spillage? (reads full inside car...i know i need it as full as possible for winter storage)

Is the fuel stabilizer still going to be in the car or do you guys think that it spilled out?

Thanks in advance, hope to hear some calming answers!
Old 11-09-2008, 11:04 AM

i dunno why it happened but your not gonna kill the paint or anything. Its not good for it, but its only one time and most likely the gas was evaporated by the time you got home anyway. Now if you make a habit of gettin gas on the paint eventually itll eat its way through it, for now though you'll be fine. You might wanna tell the station to though, probably a maint issue.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:06 AM

I'm sure you are fine. Wash the car again in that area only just to make sure you get any drops you may have missed. That is weird that it did that. That only happened once to me on a friends trunk. I think it had to do with the way the pump was positioned that allowed it to not click off. Maybe the pump you used may have been broken...
Old 11-09-2008, 12:08 PM

to be safe i would hit the spot with a quick detailer
Old 11-09-2008, 12:21 PM

pump did that most likely because the person before you topped off andhad gas in the bellow to contain the fumes.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:30 PM

ahh ok. well i washed it off and it looks fine, i went back to the same pump an hour later with my other car and it worked fine, clicked right off at the full mark. just wierd.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:31 PM
mlc

I would wash it again and rewax the area. The gas probably took some of the wax off. It shouldn't affect the clear coat but definitely re wax that spot.

Kevin
Old 11-09-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

better safe than sorry

i just put my girl in storage feel so lonely now
Old 11-09-2008, 01:36 PM

That gas station needs to change their fuel filters. They are located in each pump and once they start to clog, flow and back pressure slow down enough that the pump does not sense a fill up. I would not go back there.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:53 PM

Same thing happened to me I cleaned the area with quick detailer (which I always carry with me) and then I washed it the next day. I'm pretty sure the gas just eats through the wax but it willl take more than that to eat through the clear. Def reapply wax to it though, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Strange occurence at the pump today...