S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Strange "buzzing" I can't identify

Old 09-03-2003, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3ngin33r1
[B]

That blows my theory out of the water then...
Old 09-03-2003, 05:16 PM

I get a strange buzzing sound in my dash if my car sits out in direct sunlight. After about 10 minutes with the A/C on it goes away. Any ideas? It drives me
Old 09-03-2003, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Shpoo
I get a strange buzzing sound in my dash if my car sits out in direct sunlight. After about 10 minutes with the A/C on it goes away. Any ideas? It drives me
Now THAT is weird. Rat trapped in the A/C system? He gets a little hot, so once the a/c cools everything down the scratching subsides?

Sorry I wish I had a real answer on that one, but that just sounds strange.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

koala, you still coming over for that oil change?
If and when you do, let me look to make sure you have all your window guides in place. You also needed those speaker adaptors when we did the upgrade. That might be needing to be tightened. We can yank your door panel at that time too if you like.

Shpoo, I get these funny squeaks and "buzzes" too from inside my dash that is dependent upon being heated up while parked in the sun. Stuff in the dash expand when heated and you might just have some things that touch each other once they expand. Then, when you drive, they rub and cause the noise. When they cool a bit like when you have the A/C on, they contract and don't touch each other the same way. You would spend immense time and money to locate such noises and to resolve (if they can be resolved at all). I'd learn to live with it.
ps. I get a whole different variety of dash noises when the car has been parked outside at -30*C. I'm simply shivering too much to really worry about them.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]koala, you still coming over for that oil change?
If and when you do, let me look to make sure you have all your window guides in place.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by sebrings2k

-30*C???????????????????
We do live in "igloo-land" 5 months of the year, ya know!
Old 09-03-2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by xviper

We do live in "igloo-land" 5 months of the year, ya know!
yeah but isn't that cold enough to get your snot freeze if you sneeze?
Old 09-04-2003, 04:44 AM

I have this buzzing / rattling, too. So...I did some poking around. If you take the bottom "valence" panel off of the passenger side dash (there are a few screws and some tabs), and then reach WAY up inside the front of the dash board (is if you were trying to put your hand between the airbag and the inside of the dash cover) you will find a wiring harness held down by some "tabs". They are plastic with metal inserts that seem to rattle when they pop off of whatever they are supposed to be attached to. I could not get it back in place, so I cut it off...carefully. Anyway, no more rattling.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:51 AM

I have a similar buzz sound, and a Mastertech buddy of mine traced it down to a wiring harness just above the left foot underneath the dash. It a a fairly big one about 1" in dia. If you stick your hand and wedge your hand between the harness and the bottom panel, you will notice that the sound goes away. He says it is to do with it not rubbing against the panel, but the locking portion. He put some cushion tape around the harness and a rubber stopper on the panel to raise it up a bit and the buzz sound is a lot quieter now. It is still there, but now much quieter and less annoying.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by sebrings2k

yeah but isn't that cold enough to get your snot freeze if you sneeze?
Don't laugh, if you sneeze into the wind, by the time it hits your cold face, it will be frozen there. Anything colder than about -25*C (no sun) is quite gruesome. It's total misery when it lasts 2-3 weeks solid. The car "buzzes" every damn time you drive it but that's the least of our worries.

Quick Reply: Strange "buzzing" I can't identify