S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Strange "buzzing" I can't identify

Old 09-02-2003, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange "buzzing" I can't identify

We don't seem to have a "problems & solutions" forum so I'll post this here.

When I have the top up, and the windows closed (and sometimes I can reproduce this with the top down), I hear a very annoying buzzing sound coming from somewhere by the driver side front speaker, when in VTEC.

It's not the convertible latch rattle (I have that too, though), and its not the seat belt squeak (sigh, I have this too), and its not the clutch rattle (though I had that too, but it was fixed). And its also not the clutch pedal (which does rattle from time-to-time.

Should I even bother bringing the car into the dealer, or should I just rip the door apart myself and try to figure out what could be rattling? Any specific areas I should be paying attention to?

I love my car, but all these damn rattles are really getting to me.

Also, any ideas on how I can stop the clutch pedal from rattling? If I put my foot underneath it, and hold it firmly, the rattle dissapears.

I plan to get the convertible latch rattle(s) fixed under that TSB right away...
Old 09-02-2003, 06:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

XViper found one of the window guides inside his door when he was looking for the same type of noise. It would be much quicker to pull the door panel your self and see if anything is loose inside the door. Atleast that is what I would do.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, new car here for me. Dont know much about the TSB's. But I also have the latch rattles and a weird buzzing sound. My buzzing is when I accelerate and decelerate between 5000-7000 RPM but figured it was the convertable top tray and exhaust noise.

I also love the car and can live with the buzzing noise, I will keep up on this thread as it is very annoying to me. Hope we can bnoth get a suggestion.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:31 PM

I get the same noise sometimes when in accelerating VTEC but I think that's just due to the vibration of the engine travelling into the cabin. The buzzing from deceleration is probably due to the clutch vibration.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 PM

I guess I just wonder why its only been happening lately... it wasn't an issue even a month ago.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have your cover over the top when it's down?
Old 09-02-2003, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by 3ngin33r1
Do you have your cover over the top when it's down?
Nope. I used it once the day I got the car and its been in storage ever since. That thing is a joke.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:13 PM

Cars will lose their 'tightness' over time and NVH will suffer in the long term. You have a 2 year old car so it's expected and unless the dealer technicians really know their stuff, it's going to be hard to diagnose where the exact source of the noise is coming from. My softtop makes noises like an old station wagon when going over crappy roads, but hey we have a open top sports car, not a Luxo-mobile. Yes it does annoy the hell out of me sometimes but unless cars were carved out of a solid billet of metal with no trimmings then all the plastics, leather, metal, nuts, bolts and wiring will rub or loosen at some stage causing inevitable noises and vibrations.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by koala

Nope. I used it once the day I got the car and its been in storage ever since. That thing is a joke.
That blows my theory out of the water then... My elastic clip straps vibrate in the wind, took me awhile to figure it out.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Blackie
Cars will lose their 'tightness' over time and NVH will suffer in the long term. You have a 2 year old car so it's expected and unless the dealer technicians really know their stuff, it's going to be hard to diagnose where the exact source of the noise is coming from. My softtop makes noises like an old station wagon when going over crappy roads, but hey we have a open top sports car, not a Luxo-mobile. Yes it does annoy the hell out of me sometimes but unless cars were carved out of a solid billet of metal with no trimmings then all the plastics, leather, metal, nuts, bolts and wiring will rub or loosen at some stage causing inevitable noises and vibrations.
Oh I understand this too. I'm not expecting my car to be perfect. I guess i'll just have to take my own approach to fixing it... no big deal I suppose!

Quick Reply: Strange "buzzing" I can't identify