S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Sticky Felt Fix to save your Soft Top!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Felt Fix to save your Soft Top!

I have been reading many posts about soft top wear and decided to come up with an economical and easy way to prevent any additional top wear. I have the abrasion mark on my passenger side and want to prevent anymore damage from occuring.

Here is what I found to be the absolute culprit. .

First off, many people seem to believe that the wear is from an elbow in the top-down position. I went along with that theory and simply took some sticky backed felt (purchased at Michael's craft store, brand name "Stick-it-Felt") and attached some to the top edge of the elbow. I then lowered the top and noticed that the elbow does'nt rub the top as we all believe. I did however notice that the hoop with the two sharp bends in it rub heavily across the top just about the time you hear the top strain as it goes down. This must be the highest friction point of the top rubbing against the hoop. I saw it rubbing very tight against the inner-most sharp-angled bend in the cross hoop, which was making an abrasion in my top. Under the hoop, there were no sharp edges, just a lot of pressure and natural friction. I simply took some of that sticky backed black felt and placed a patch across the top right where it rubs the bar. It sticks extremely well and should last for a very long time. It is also plyable enough to flex with the top and wont show from the outside. This, I believe will solve the wear issue for most of us. Please click the link for the pic of the mod. If anyone wants to post this picture, please feel free to do so.

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv126/r...pg?t=1243487188

BTW, this felt is great for quieting down that squeek that you hear from the seat belt rubbing against the seat piping. Place some along the piping where the belt rubs and get rid of that annoying issue as well.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good mod. sanding down the sharp metal part helped for me.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:20 PM

Interesting. Sounds like a simple solution to a perplexing issue. I'm tagging this for later.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A heavy dose of chalk rubbed along all suspected parts of the frame might reveal exactly where these felt patches need to be placed. I think it's possible or even probable that there is at least some variation with each car. If the patch is large enough, most of us have successfully shotgunned the problem since the general location seems to be universal.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Just what I need! and a Michaels is near. I'll have to make a stop. I'm tired of replacing the electrical tape I'm currently using every week or so.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Sticky felt, huh? Great inexpensive solution.
This thread should be a ..... wait for it.......STICKY!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it was a sticky, people wouldn't read it....

I used a little Shin-Etsu on the friction points. I figure, reduce the friction... reduce the wear. I like the reinforcement idea, though.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=CKit,May 28 2009, 08:47 AM] I used a little Shin-Etsu on the friction points.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:33 PM

The felt is actually sold as a sheet. They have 8.5x11 sheets of foam, felts (stick and non-sticky)and whats not typically on a big rack. Cost was too cheap to remember! I was surprised just how well it stuck to fabric. Could'nt be any better for what we need here. Good luck finding it!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice little patches...

Quick Reply: Sticky Felt Fix to save your Soft Top!