S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Steering wheel problem!

Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel problem!

I dont't know what has happenned to the steering wheel but if I hold it str8, the car will likely go to the right. So I have to hold it alittle to the left then the call goes str8.. Please give me some ideas
Old 08-07-2006, 07:43 AM

get an alignment and your problem should be solved. did you happen to hit something?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes the tires pull to the right or left even if you have perfect alignment, its what happened to me
Old 08-07-2006, 08:09 AM

No I didn't hit anything, never hit vtec also.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:15 AM

Check tire pressures.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:24 AM

What pressure is right for front tires? And how do i check the pressure? Sorry for asking this question but I really don't know how
Old 08-07-2006, 09:27 AM

The alignment is probably fine and you just have to have your steering wheel re-centered. If your driving straight down the road and you take your hands off the wheel, does the car pull to one side or another? If not, that's your problem.

I had the same problem once because I hit a big rut in the road while taking a sharp bend very fast and the wheels ended up going one way and the steering wheel stayed where I had it. The alignment was still fine but I was holding the wheel at 11:00 now when driving straight. Basically the steering rod slipped at it's connector point and I needed to have the steering wheel re-centered. I can be done by eye, but it's best if the car is put on an alignment machine to make sure the wheels are perfectly straight before re-positioning the steering wheel so you don't have to keep adjusting it.

This seems to happen alot in the S for some reason versus other Hondas where the steering connection is very solid and hard to knock out of wack. Maybe it has something to do with the electric assisted steering setup?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kidxsai,Aug 7 2006, 12:24 PM
What pressure is right for front tires? And how do i check the pressure? Sorry for asking this question but I really don't know how
Check your door jamb, it probably says 32 PSI for all four.

step 1. Buy a *decent* tire pressure gauge/ any auto parts store will have them
step 2. Unscrew the little plastic caps on your valve stems (there is one poking in through the rim of each of your wheels)
step 3. push gauge onto valve stem
step 4. read pressure.
step 5. add air if pressure is below 32 psi / let air out if pressure is abobe 32 PSI
***Note this is with your tires COLD***

They will read up to 10 PSI (or more) higher when HOT so measure them when COLD.

If you still have problems GET HELP!

Also... Lots of roads are crowned for drainage, make sure this is not what is causing you to think you are pulling to the right.
If this is not your problem then go get a decent alignment.

And take some driving classes. This is WAY too much car for someone who doesn't know how to check their tire pressure. Seriously.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sbeall,Aug 7 2006, 09:27 AM
The alignment is probably fine and you just have to have your steering wheel re-centered. If your driving straight down the road and you take your hands off the wheel, does the car pull to one side or another? If not, that's your problem.

I had the same problem once because I hit a big rut in the road while taking a sharp bend very fast and the wheels ended up going one way and the steering wheel stayed where I had it. The alignment was still fine but I was holding the wheel at 11:00 now when driving straight. Basically the steering rod slipped at it's connector point and I needed to have the steering wheel re-centered. I can be done by eye, but it's best if the car is put on an alignment machine to make sure the wheels are perfectly straight before re-positioning the steering wheel so you don't have to keep adjusting it.

This seems to happen alot in the S for some reason versus other Hondas where the steering connection is very solid and hard to knock out of wack. Maybe it has something to do with the electric assisted steering setup?
An off-center steering wheel is not an uncommon thing when I get alignments Just get an alignment and tell the tech to make sure that your steering wheel is straight afterwards. Hopefully that fixes it.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kidxsai,Aug 7 2006, 11:24 AM
And how do i check the pressure? Sorry for asking this question but I really don't know how

To flame you for this statement would be akin to sucker punching a small child.

Congrats on purchasing one hell of a fine car. It would be interesting to know if it's your first (please don't mention it if that's not the case).

Quick Reply: Steering wheel problem!