S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Steering wheel alignment after TSB Work

Old 04-03-2001, 05:20 PM
Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, i am finally driving the s2k again since the winter seems to be finally going away.

I had the TSB work done on the car in February.

My question is this:

Does anyone know if working on the s2ks tranny involves anything with the steering system?

Anyone with a helm manual should be able to answer this one.

I am going mad because the steering wheels feels, at least to me, like it has to be a hair too much to the left in order to go straight. I am so crazy sometimes, that i don't even enjoy driving because of things like this.

I am wondering if they didn't install it properly.

Please help me, give me the answer i need to know before i go mad forerever.

Thank you.
Old 04-03-2001, 06:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, they disconnect the steering.. supposed to mark it before disassembly so they get back exactly right. Obviously some don't.
Old 04-03-2001, 06:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If your dealing with the shift grind problem then yes the wheel was disconnected. Sounds like it wasn't lined up after surgery. It sounds like the dealer failed to memorize the torque sensort neutral position as required per Helm 17-45.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:10 PM
Sev

Originally posted by Utah S2K
If your dealing with the shift grind problem then yes the wheel was disconnected. Sounds like it wasn't lined up after surgery. It sounds like the dealer failed to memorize the torque sensort neutral position as required per Helm 17-45.
Thanks guys, what kind of job is it to fix it. Are we looking at a long job??

I hate going to the dealer, i wish i could fix it myself.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the exact same problem. The H on the steering wheel is tilted 10 degrees to the left going straight, and it's making me crazy.

I'll go have them fix it this weekend, Sev -- and let you know how much trouble it was!
Old 04-03-2001, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I have the same problem...my steering leans just a hair to the left, but I've never had any work done to my Stook. It just may be a design problem with our autos. I can feel it only when I put both hands on the 10 and 2 o'clock position. I would refrain from having anyone mess with the steering unless it was broke from the beginning. Steering wheel alignment, especially when it's so small, is just a cosmetic thing. To try and "fix" it might lead to actual steering problems.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:55 PM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SomethingWicked
[B]Guys, I have the same problem...my steering leans just a hair to the left, but I've never had any work done to my Stook.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:55 PM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ok2k
[B]I have the exact same problem. The H on the steering wheel is tilted 10 degrees to the left going straight, and it's making me crazy.
Old 04-04-2001, 02:44 PM
Sev

I went to the dealer today, the mechanic said he marked the spot and he is sure he put it on properly. He explained though that according to the Honda instructions, the car is also supposed to be aligned after the job is done, which in my case they didn't!!!!

He said that when they take the front end down like that and reconnect the arms, they can never get it perfect ....

To make a long story short, i am getting the car aligned in two weeks, had to do it anyway.
Old 04-04-2001, 09:54 PM
fly

I had the clutch and the 1-2 grind done, and had exactly the same thing-- just a hair off. Drove me crazy at first, but the dealer said it was "within tolerances", and that I'd have to talk to the Service Manager or the Honda rep. to go any further with it.

The problem was slightly better after they "looked at it" again, and even better with new S-02's mounted a few days later, so I'm tempted to leave well enough alone. To top it off, they did the seatbelt recall and scratched the plastic rollbar cover pretty good. I think I'm going back for that.

Once again, I'm convinced that all it takes to succeed in this world is to just not screw up more than the next guy.

Josh

Quick Reply: Steering wheel alignment after TSB Work