S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

steering feel vs. Cayman

Old 04-30-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering feel vs. Cayman

This is not another what is better s2k or Cayman thread.

I love the looks of the s2k. My only concern is the steering feel or communication. I rented a Cayman in vegas and thought the communication through the wheel was incredible.

Test drove s2k but it was a short drive so did not really get to assess the steering.

So is the steering numb or give you adequate feedback?

Appreciate your time.

thx
Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The steering in the S2000 is shit compared to a Cayman.

Seriously.

It's on a whole 'nother plane if you drive it hard.

The S2000, I'd say has adequate feedback. But there is definitely something lost in the communication compared to an Elise or a Cayman.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM

^^I agree. Cayman S (the one i drove) had an unparalleled feel. That car is freakin amazing. It can be a much better cruiser than the S if you want it to be, but on the flip side, it is such a supreme sports car it blew me away.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

S2000 has electric steering, and I've yet to drive a car with a decent electric steering setup, the S included.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 PM

Ya ... think it's an issue with the idea of EPSs
Old 05-01-2009, 04:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its funny how we all tend to almost bash the S2000 continuously for its "numb" steering feedback. I find it funny because I find other testimonials from licensed race drivers saying otherwise. I don't have a link to support my claim but Its just something I've experienced. Not being a career race car driver, I cant testify to what "real" steering feel is and how its comparable to other sports cars other than mild track time and daily driving. So I've always thought it funny that many of us (I guess ownership brings entitlement) seem to have completely different opinions than that of most pros.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:18 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Nippon,May 1 2009, 08:46 AM
Its funny how we all tend to almost bash the S2000 continuously for its "numb" steering feedback. I find it funny because I find other testimonials from licensed race drivers saying otherwise. I don't have a link to support my claim but Its just something I've experienced. Not being a career race car driver, I cant testify to what "real" steering feel is and how its comparable to other sports cars other than mild track time and daily driving. So I've always thought it funny that many of us (I guess ownership brings entitlement) seem to have completely different opinions than that of most pros.
Not to call you out, but as someone with extensive time in a number of sports cars, I can tell you that the S2000s steering, as good as it is, does have its faults, and I've never heard "pros" praise the S2000's steering. Who better to understand and praise or decry the S2000's steering than the actual owners of the cars?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u think u have not enough steering feedback, wait until u get A048
Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I see it is, unless its something that can be put down in some form of data, numerical, or otherwise, It almost seems to be a placibo effect. Or subjective at best. I just think the word "feel" is too broad a definition to use when comparing steering. Unless of course its more drastic like comparing a yacht to an F1 car.

I do see the logic in it though. But the feel we're all refering to probably correlates to other things such as chassis rigidity, suspension tuning, center of gravity, balance, etc, and not so much that this steering wheel or column gives more "feel" than the other.

Saki, the Pro's comment earlier wasn't made to warrant the need to provide reference to, In other words, I cant give any names because most of these guys were just SCCA guys I met at Road Atlanta, just that people I considered pro's said other wise.

Toriaizu, esu nissen no koto suki desu
Old 05-01-2009, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steering feel? LOL! As good a sports car as the S2k is it has very little feel. I am certain it is the EPS system's fault. True, many other cars are worse (IS350 comes to mind). But nobody can brag about S2K steering feel.

Quick Reply: steering feel vs. Cayman