S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Start Button = Lame

Old 05-28-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan,May 28 2007, 03:39 PM
Doesn't matter. (Unless you've left it in gear then unthinkingly pop the clutch!)
ahh just checkin
Old 05-28-2007, 04:28 PM

That is some nitpicking. I'm too partial to even try and get like that. I'm simply blinded by the love I have for this car. I loved my 01, but I really love this 06 even more. And the radio, yeah it's not very good, but when you go from an 01 stock unit to an 06, for a while there the system sounds DAMN good. After you get used to it, you realize it's improved, but still not great. My Speed 6 has a 200 watt bose system in it, so I really notice the lameness of the s2000 stereo. AT least they improved it. The thing was just flat out AWFUL in the early years.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:41 PM

Yeh, the radio in the 01 is the bomb, literally. I however, think the controls (save for the useless mode button) are a triumph of function over form.

Again, if you are a track oriented person, you would appreciate not having a bunch of buttons and controls on the steering wheel.

The rocker switch for volume and fan speed mean you never have to take the hands off the wheel or eyes off the road for the most commonly executed functions in a car besides actually driving - turn up/down the volume and AC / heater fan speed.

Brilliant Honda. They look moron-ish, but boy are they functional. And so to the "Trek" dash. After you get over hating it because everyone wants to laugh at it (and you), you slowly realize just how functional it is and why F1 cars have digital rather than analog instruments.

Basic design to maximize functionality and focus on the true task at hand - whooping the hell out of the machine in ecstasy, even at 30mph!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by st_rage,Apr 23 2007, 02:34 AM
Bought a low mileage '06 at the beginning of the month. I've had the car a couple of weeks now, and everything I don't like about the car is focused on the dash area to the left of the steering wheel. I shall enumerate them:
  1. The start button is a pointless gimmick. I still have to put the key in the ignition and turn it. Why do I want or need a separate button? It's a waste of plastic that could only be cool if I didn't need the key (and then it would be very cool). I think it cheapen's the car.
  2. The left dash insert is a mirror image of the right insert despite the fact that it's an ergonomic nightmare.
    1. The mode button is prominately set off and looks like a knob despite the fact that it doesn't turn and is the least frequently used control.
    2. The channel button only increments up. If I want to go back to the previous station/song, then I have to go around the horn.
    3. Volume should be a knob.
  3. 7 model years of the above and IT STILL ISN'T FIXED. Honda, you've got time to add DBW and VSA, but you cant mold a new $2 plastic part for the dash? What the hell?
Thank you for taking time to listen to my rant. Everything else is perfect...except I want more hp.
- Start button in fact can come in handy... When the key is in the ignition, you can start the engine with your left hand and at the same time put the car in first with your right hand that is free since it does not have to start the engine with the key. That's the reason why all Porsche's have the ignition key on the left side of the steering wheel.

- Over here, all sorts of cars have a 'start button' nowadays Last week I was driving a new Civic 2.2 and I had to start that diesel engine also with the 'start ENGINE' button Stange to hear and feel a diesel after pushing our red button

- I have a GPS system instead of the standard radio, so all the buttons on the left have no function anymore, less buttons to worry about, I could never believe a car could exist with that less buttons in it

- I agree however on the mode button and some other outdated stereo controls

- Get a compressor or turbo, that will help your hp needs
Old 05-29-2007, 08:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Go buy a lexus if you do not like the radio. This car was not designed around creature comforts and therefore does not have a great sound system.

As for the start button- it was put in to mimic F1 style cars. If you don't like it, get a standard Honda ignition and place it into the car. You can then avoid the start button and problem solved.