S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

start button

Old 12-15-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Not Sure,Dec 15 2009, 11:06 AM
Not necessary. I've never have a need to start my car without being in it even when tuning. I prefer the safety feature since I'm sure I would try to start it while in gear eventually.
The mod comes in handy. Its just what I like to call a dummy switch, it keeps retards from doing retarded things. Apparently Honda started using them in 89 because my 88 CRX Si didn't have it, people used to trip when I'd fire it up through the window. The mod isn't for everyone, I suppose if you had kids you might want that feature. I do make sure to tell ANYONE who may drive it (which has been very few) that it can be started in gear. I simply do the universal "shake the shifter" test before pushing the button.

Furthermore, supposedly.. being able to start the car without depressing the clutch can reduce wear on the crank bearings.

Sorry to get off topic but that is what forums are for!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 135i has push button start, which is cool, but the problem is I was used to using it to stop the car as well, so after taking my test drive in my new LBP S2k --- ACK!!! that button doesn't stop the car! LOL
Old 12-15-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deathsled,Dec 15 2009, 03:45 PM
I'll back you up on this one, the car knows somehow. When I've had a wicked spin out during some "spirited driving" as we'll call it the car wouldn't fire up again until I turned the ignition off and back on. Clutching in and pressing the button would not start the car. This was in my old '04.
just to see, i purposely stalled my car today and tried to start it without turning the key, just pressing the button. voila, it worked. as you can see i have an 04
Old 12-15-2009, 06:26 PM

Yes but the two posters arguing for teh turning key thing are saying you have to spin out rather than just stall.

Although I do remember hearing about some kinda safety measure like that somewhere on these boards. But I could be wrong.

...anyone wanna spin out and do some tests?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpman2k,Dec 15 2009, 07:13 PM
My 135i has push button start, which is cool, but the problem is I was used to using it to stop the car as well, so after taking my test drive in my new LBP S2k --- ACK!!! that button doesn't stop the car! LOL

I think all the new cars with buttons start AND stop the engine. I wonder why honda did not do this.

Why is the s2k the ONLY 1999+ Honda with a start button??
Old 12-16-2009, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The start button in the S2K is cool, but IMO pretty worthless. It would be faster just to turn the key all the way and start the car up, rather than turn the key, then push the button on the other side of the steering wheel
I'm sure it was added to the S2K only for the coolness factor, especially since there weren't any other car brands using them in 2000 that I know of
Old 12-16-2009, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by deathsled,Dec 15 2009, 06:45 PM
I'll back you up on this one, the car knows somehow. When I've had a wicked spin out during some "spirited driving" as we'll call it the car wouldn't fire up again until I turned the ignition off and back on. Clutching in and pressing the button would not start the car. This was in my old '04.
Id have to agree with this statement. I spun off the highway in the rain and with clutching and pressing the button all i would get was a spudder. Once I turned the iggntion off and back on it started right up. This is in my MY05
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 AM

As stated before, the start button is not just a "gimmick," it's there so that if you stall or spin, you can simply re-start with your left hand while getting back in gear with your right hand. As you can imagine, this is something that could be valuable when speed is an issue. It's the same reason Porsches have their ignition on the LH side of the steering column, and is different in concept from most other cars with "on/off" buttons, where the car is simply treated like any other household appliance.

I've stalled my car before and never had to re-twist the ignition, and have in fact used the start button while getting myself in the correct gear with the other hand. So, it seems that it does have a purpose other than just coolness.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 21337R,Dec 15 2009, 02:15 PM
Didn't the S600\800 have start buttons too?
Yes
Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 21337R,Dec 15 2009, 06:49 PM
The mod comes in handy. Its just what I like to call a dummy switch, it keeps retards from doing retarded things.
As I've stated before, I've never needed to start my car without being in it. I've owned many cars that could start without the clutch - it's not something I miss in the S2k.

I guess it's funny that people "trip" when you start it up without depressing the clutch, but to me it's just not that fascinating. It would be more retarded to do a mod that I don't need than to do it just to make people "trip".

Guaranteed - as perfect as you think you are - one day you'll forget it's in gear and try to start the car...I just hope you don't crack your lip on the curb when it happens.

Quick Reply: start button