S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Start Button = Lame

Old 04-22-2007, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by st_rage,Apr 22 2007, 08:50 PM
I sincerely doubt that the .00001% safety increase is why Honda marketing put that feature in.

You hit the nail on the head there. It's not a feature for racing (because most s2k's will never see a track), but instead a feature inspired by racing. That's why it feels a bit gimmicky to me. Perhaps I'll change my mind when I'm sitting backwards on the track, but it's more likely that I'll be trying to twist the key and cursing.

It's not so much that I don't want the start button, but that I'd rather have a start button that worked without the key. Then we could all be happy.
The S2000 takes much of its features and design from Honda's racing heritage. The start button is just one of many features derived from this.

So we should forget the start button eh? Why not just forget the race inspired chassis while we're there. How about giving up the race inspired high revving powerplant, for something nice and torquey like a V6.

All these things add up to something...an EXPERIENCE. When I push the start button every morning, I feel like I'm starting something special up. When I start my TL, I twist the key, just like 99% of cars out there. But the S2000 isn't every other car.

And yes, many owners do track their cars. Just visit the racing forum. And many more take their car to the autocross.

Sorry you don't like the start button and took the time to post up about it instead of mentioning other mundane aspects of the vehicle such as how you felt it drove. I guess you must also be irritated by the lack of a glovebox, heated seats, and a button to unlock the passenger door. If so, I highly recommend taking a look a the new Altima - I hear its got push button start standard with no key required, bose stereo with nice shiny steering wheel controls, and lots of cool bells and whistles.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:54 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

LOL! ^^^

But yeah dude, What's up with the negativity. Seems like you are spoiled just a bit. Complaining about this and that. People around the world could only dream about these little things. Civic/Integra drivers rip out our dashes that you hate so much and steal our start bttns & you are bashing it.

Come on MAN

Have you ever thought of it this way... Maybe the dash doesnt like you? WEIRD.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:03 PM

the start button is an awesome "wow" feature. i love it. look how it started the trend for modern cars

true - a completely "keyless" system (like nissan) & start button would be cool, but the car was made in 99?

i LOVE the dash layout. can hit the volume with my fingers with hand still on the steering wheel. i listen to ipod & controller -- CH & +/- to change track backwards or forwards. who listens to the stock system anyway?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:16 PM

Honda keeps "refining" the car in response to customer complaints, so maybe the start button will go away when they add the back seats.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:19 PM

iono bout u man but the girls dig it!!
Old 04-22-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry dude. Honda designed the car around me and my preferences. It's perfect.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry you don't like the start button and took the time to post up about it instead of mentioning other mundane aspects of the vehicle such as how you felt it drove. I guess you must also be irritated by the lack of a glovebox, heated seats, and a button to unlock the passenger door. If so, I highly recommend taking a look a the new Altima - I hear its got push button start standard with no key required, bose stereo with nice shiny steering wheel controls, and lots of cool bells and whistles.
I love the car. But me waxing poetic on it's handling is just so much static on a board full of enthusiasts. Would you want to read nothing but a bunch of s2k addicts singing their praise all day long?

I spent my cash on the best car that money could buy. If we didn't agree on that much then we wouldn't be here. Don't pull the "you should've bought an Altima" bullshit. If your ego needs that much reinforcement of your buy decision you should get therapy.

Just because it's the best car for the money doesn't make it perfect. If it was, then I guess everyone should take their mods off because the car was perfect as Honda shipped it.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think these are pretty minor complaints. Even the radio/CD unit are adiquate for most and aftermarket is available for the rest.
My only complaint is the speakers. With any good CD played at moderate levels, these speakers will begin to distort.
Honda (IMO) should have offered an optional speaker package or two and not because these arent also available after market but because many owners of this car would rather not have someone tearing into their car to install these which includes myself. I'll probably do this myself within the next few months.
It would have been nice though, to have had the option during purchase.
Other than that, everything seems well designed for my purposes and can't really knock the functions and layout of these audio controls.
Speaker recs? I'll check into the Elec. section before buying.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by st_rage,Apr 23 2007, 06:29 AM
I love the car. But me waxing poetic on it's handling is just so much static on a board full of enthusiasts. Would you want to read nothing but a bunch of s2k addicts singing their praise all day long?

I spent my cash on the best car that money could buy. If we didn't agree on that much then we wouldn't be here. Don't pull the "you should've bought an Altima" bullshit. If your ego needs that much reinforcement of your buy decision you should get therapy.

Just because it's the best car for the money doesn't make it perfect. If it was, then I guess everyone should take their mods off because the car was perfect as Honda shipped it.
What's sad is that you took the time to post up about how you hated the start button and audio controls on a car that has so much more to offer than that. And then despite the fact that multiple people on this board have told you WHY the start button is there and what purpose it serves, you continue to bitch and whine about it like a 5 year old. Some like the start button and some don't. Get over yourself, and if it bothers you that much, sell the car to a more deserving owner.

Wouldn't be half surprised if you started a thread a few weeks from now bitching about how Honda hasn't offered the car with rear seats.

This takes the cake for the most useless thread created here on s2ki in a while.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's sad is that you took the time to post up about how you hated the start button and audio controls on a car that has so much more to offer than that. And then despite the fact that multiple people on this board have told you WHY the start button is there and what purpose it serves, you continue to bitch and whine about it like a 5 year old.
Didn't learn anything, eh? Let's quote myself from further up the page:
I've already learned why track oriented owners see value in the start button. I'm hoping to learn that there was a good reason why some of the other bad (as judged by me) design decisions were made.
As for this:
Some like the start button and some don't. Get over yourself, and if it bothers you that much, sell the car to a more deserving owner
I'm one that doesn't like the start button. Maybe you should take your own advice and get over it. I'm not telling you to take it off.

This takes the cake for the most useless thread created here on s2ki in a while.
Then why are you keeping it at the top of the page? Doesn't it make you feel dirty? I've learned some things: track guys really like the button, there doesn't appear to be an easy mod for keyless ignition, and there's not an easy mod for the dash except an ipod.

Quick Reply: Start Button = Lame