S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Start Button = Lame

Old 05-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by st_rage,May 18 2007, 11:32 AM
No problem, I just don't check back on s2k every day. Good posts deserve positive feedback.

I'm an engineer that works with designers to design consumer and industrial products. Having seen the process from the inside, it's becomes possible to see in many products where marketing/ID/engineering won particular battles. In well designed products it's almost invisible, as it is to me on most features of the s2k.

I certainly respect all of the R&D that the military puts into UI, as pretty much all of the data and research we use came from them. Of course the military doesn't care as much about the aesthetics and marketability of their equipment, so the UI design arguments are between UI designers who have similar goals. My complaints with the S pretty much boil down to knob>button for making both fine and gross adjustments and the channel button needs to allow incrementing both up and down scale. In my mind these are textbook rules, but then I'm the engineer and not the ergonomist.

After driving the S a few more weeks I've basically stopped using the auxillary controls and just reach for the head unit. I had preferred the aethetic of keeping the door shut, but the novelty has worn off.
Positive feedback. Never expected, always appreciated.

I don't play the radio enough to remeber which buttons do what most of the time, but when it's on, I generally use the dash controls. Some day I hope to be able to use a Modifry DCI to control my ICPC and maybe even come up with a way to reprogram the controls to some extent, but the stock setup works well enough for me.

In any event, the Start Button is one of the little elements that help define the S2000, so I'm more than a little surprised to learn that some owners don't like it. It just goes to prove, yet again, that no matter what you do, you cannot please all of the people all of the time.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lolz i got my aftermarket exhaust at 1k lolzzzz
no warranty needed it man. this is a Honda not Ford
Old 05-18-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by st_rage,May 18 2007, 05:28 PM
I'm disappointed only because everything else seems so perfect. Granted, I'm not a track/autocross enthusiast, so the start button lore is evidently lost on me, but I am a student of design. I'm just a bit offended that a majority of commentors seem to think that the a dislike of the start button = a dislike for the car. My comment is aimed a bit more broadly than you in particular, but I think you were definately on the same side of the fence that I tossed that grenade.

I understand why the start button has value on the track, but it still doesn't excuse (to me) the radio controls. I've gotten over it by just not using them and going straight to the head unit.

Happy motoring.
Gotcha.

Yeah, I hear ya, as I don't bother with the radio controls either, and just go straight to the headunit. I never really found the dash controls useful, and as for the start button, well...I think it's a really cool gimmick, but I can go with or without it...

Old 05-26-2007, 06:34 PM

Everyone get into the way-back machine and visit 1999.
Please right-click and save-as.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,May 26 2007, 06:34 PM
sick video.. never seen that one before
Old 05-26-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has a kick start. Nice retro nod to it's motorcycle heritage.

1. Put key in and turn on electrical system.
2. Press and hold the big red button.
3. Start car by pushing down on the clutch pedal/kick starter.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are we still on this?

Seriously... I'm all for new ideas and making improvements, but sometimes things just are the way they are. Like it or don't, buy it or don't, change it or don't. But arguing about it on the Internet seems like a waste of time...............especially when "everything else seems so perfect."

I suggest it's time for some to go outside and their cars.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,May 26 2007, 09:34 PM
Nice one RED. I've never seen that one either
Old 05-28-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by KenS2K,May 26 2007, 09:50 PM
Mine has a kick start. Nice retro nod to it's motorcycle heritage.

1. Put key in and turn on electrical system.
2. Press and hold the big red button.
3. Start car by pushing down on the clutch pedal/kick starter.
haha i like that but i dont know if thats something you should do all the time.. cant be good or doesnt matter?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Doesn't matter. (Unless you've left it in gear then unthinkingly pop the clutch!)

Quick Reply: Start Button = Lame