S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Squeeking/rubbing sound when I make a hard right.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeking/rubbing sound when I make a hard right.

I have tried turning left and did not noticed the noise but like I was saying earlier it only makes it when I make a hard right turn. The sound to me almost has a metalic sound to it but I took a look at my rotor/caliper and did not see anything out of the ordinary that looked like it would be rubbing but I could be wrong. I have a 2004 with almost 40,000 miles on the car. I do have RSR lowering springs (somewhere around 20,000-25,000 miles on the spings). Oh and if it helps I still have the break pads that came with the car when she was new. I am really curious as to what my problem(s) is. I would take my car to honda in a heart beat to get it checked out but becasue my car is lowered it will not fit on their rack and they don't like driving on 2 by 4s... Any info/help would be great!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you have stock shocks with your springs, test your shocks.
with 25k miles, it could be the brakes (pull the wheel and you can check your brake pads) if you are hard on the brakes. i hardly have any brake wear at 20k miles, but i love to downshift (instead of braking)!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:37 PM

so I could have a bad shock? I do break hard from time to time and I do have almost 40,000 miles on the pads... I just have never noticed and difference in breaking (like the squeeking noise you get from worn out pards) and no one has said I needed new pads when I take my car in.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm going to guess that you may be rubbing on the plastic wheel well splashshield. With a lowered car and a hard right, you may be compressing the spring enough to bring the tire in contact with that liner. Take a careful look at the underside of the wheel well lip to see if there is any material being ground off.
Typically, people with 225 tires on Volk rims on the front will just touch that part on a hard right turn.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jan 30 2006, 10:45 PM
I'm going to guess that you may be rubbing on the plastic wheel well splashshield. With a lowered car and a hard right, you may be compressing the spring enough to bring the tire in contact with that liner. Take a careful look at the underside of the wheel well lip to see if there is any material being ground off.
Typically, people with 225 tires on Volk rims on the front will just touch that part on a hard right turn.
Thanks for the advise... I just checked and there is no sign of wear on the plastic wheel well. Any other ideas would be great!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:53 PM

OK I just went out for a drive to see if it would make the sound. I went to a parking lot, stopped and turned my steering wheel right. As I would start to go (I drove in circles) I could hear this squeeking/chattering sound comming from the front drivers side tire (It does not make it when I go left). If I press on the brakes (wile still turning) the sound would emidiately go away. If I stopped and the started again it would not make the sound right away. I would have to drive in circles for a bit. Also it would make the sound as I am driving in circles and if my speed got lower then 5 mph the sound would go away.

P.S. it sounds like metal rubbing to me... but I could be wrong.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by TunedS2000,Jan 30 2006, 10:53 PM
If I stopped and the started again it would not make the sound right away.

if my speed got lower then 5 mph the sound would go away.
Can you clarify these two statements, please. It's a fairly minor detail but you just never know.
You say the sound starts up "right away", but you also say that below 5 mph, there is no sound. If you it makes the sound "right away" from a stop, you are not going 5 mph yet, so does it so it below 5 mph also?

I would suggest that you turn the steering full right lock, turn off the engine, have someone hold the steering wheel at full lock (so it doesn't rebound back a bit), so out and take a good look and feel to see if anything on the innermost part of the rim and tire is really close to touching any of the other suspension or frame parts. If you do find something that's really close, then the slight speed of 5 mph might just be enough to flex the rim/tire to touch.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jan 31 2006, 10:34 AM
Can you clarify these two statements, please. It's a fairly minor detail but you just never know.
You say the sound starts up "right away", but you also say that below 5 mph, there is no sound. If you it makes the sound "right away" from a stop, you are not going 5 mph yet, so does it so it below 5 mph also?

I would suggest that you turn the steering full right lock, turn off the engine, have someone hold the steering wheel at full lock (so it doesn't rebound back a bit), so out and take a good look and feel to see if anything on the innermost part of the rim and tire is really close to touching any of the other suspension or frame parts. If you do find something that's really close, then the slight speed of 5 mph might just be enough to flex the rim/tire to touch.
Sorry I'll go into detail on that. If I start driving it will make the sound as soon as I start moving. Now once I am moving, say about 8 miles an hour or so and I let off the gas and cost the sound stops when the car slows down the 5 mph or so... I hope that helps. I went to the honda dealer today and they looked at it and said I need new break pads. I'll be getting those installed tomorrow and we will see if this fixes my problem. The mechanic said he did not see anything els out of the ordinary but he did not drive the car either. Thanks for the help and please let me know if you have any other ideas.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by TunedS2000,Jan 31 2006, 11:44 AM
I went to the honda dealer today and they looked at it and said I need new break pads.
This is certainly a possibility and I hope this fixes it for you. I suppose you could be just on the verge of the brake pad indicator making its "designed in" sound. It just baffles me that you have to crank it over hard to make it work, but anything is possible.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jan 31 2006, 01:44 PM
This is certainly a possibility and I hope this fixes it for you. I suppose you could be just on the verge of the brake pad indicator making its "designed in" sound. It just baffles me that you have to crank it over hard to make it work, but anything is possible.
I agree... but hey maybe this will fix the problem. I do have almost 40,000 miles on my brake pads so they need to go anyways. I'll keep you posted on weather or not it worked.

Quick Reply: Squeeking/rubbing sound when I make a hard right.