S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Spun out...hit curb...on top of curb...damage

Old 11-10-2003, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your crash. I had an accident not too long ago that may provide some insight into that whole 'good driving' thing. But again, cars can be replaced. Good to hear you're alright.

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...25&pagenumber=1
Old 11-11-2003, 06:55 AM

Same thing happened to me a week ago. I feel your pain! My rim bent as well. I just got the estimate back yesterday:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=160615
Old 11-12-2003, 05:20 PM

I guess misery loves company...not really. Sorry to hear about your incidents.

I got my estimate back with mixed feelings.

Good news: the only damage was what was visible...the rear wheel, lower control arm and bearings. The front left wheel is also needing replacement according to the estimate, but I'm sure it could just be reconditioned a bit. The tires can be salvaged.

Bad news: this adds up to $2.1K

Parts - $1,570 ($1050 of that is two new wheels)

Labor - $400 (disassembly, install and I'm sure dismounting and remounting the tires is in there somewhere...sounds about right)

Alignment - $130

Bottom-line, I want the Honda dealer to do the labor (I'm too chicken to do it myself, nor do I have the equipment or would want to rent them).

I know I could source a lot of the parts on my own, but my guess is that the Honda dealer will reject those with the exception of the wheels.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and let my insurance take over and cover the $2.1k (less my $500 deductible)...that's what it's there for.

Any way I slice it, I don't think I stand to save that much money by handling the repairs myself.

My guess is that the insurance company will withhold my 25th birthday present and I'll continue with my existing premiums.

Any insights?

P.S. Going the insurance route will also get me back in the driver's seat the quickest...
Old 11-12-2003, 08:58 PM

Honestly I think you'd save quite a bit doing it yourself. Provided that there is no frame damage and all parts damaged are suspension parts, most of it is pretty simple stuff to fix.

If you want to see how much the parts would cost *you* I usually do business with http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ to get my OEM parts.

If you can save just enough to bear the expense yourself and not have your insurance rates go up then I say do it (especially since you dont have to do any paint work).

And sorry to hear it happened, but it happens to the best of us. Happened to me too only I did quite a bit more damage. Someone said it was lack of respect for RWD and I dont think the case, its just lack of aclimation to *THIS* RWD. Even my old 5.0 trans-am was easier to keep from spinning out than these cars are. In any event glad you're ok, the damage is minor and good luck with the repairs.

-Jeff
Old 11-12-2003, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the input. Ultimately, I think I'm still going to go with the insurance. I love to know how to fix things, but I don't enjoy doing the fixing...perhaps that's why I went into consulting.

Thanks for the link however, it puts prices in perspective.

Yeah, I've also been told that this situation happens out of a lack of respect for RWD and your right that it's this particular RWD that requires adaptation. I have plenty of driving time behind other RWD cars, issue free. I am by no means bitter about the experience. I love the s2000. I might even move up to Vermont and marry it.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:45 PM

If that's all you're replacing, then I could do the job for you for $700, two used OE wheels included. You'd have to settle for used parts, but if it works, then what's the big deal?

Depending on how much your deductible is, or how much your premium would go up (based on driving record, previous claims, number of vehicles, etc.), I can't say I'd go with insurance. But I also can't say I'd go around insurance, though.