S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Spun out...hit curb...on top of curb...damage

Old 11-07-2003, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun out...hit curb...on top of curb...damage

Well, my dum-bass spun out and smacked the curb. Looks like I killed the back wheel, bent it and probably took out the control arm and rear axle. I'll find out the full extent on Monday. I feel pretty stupid , although relieved that I'm still in one piece (1 foot away from a ledge that would have flipped me). I chalk it up to lessoned learned. The irony of it all, is that I was signed up for a class on how to drive this thing tomorrow...oh well.

Any ideas how much it will cost me to replace the above?

No more fun stuff for me until I get ed-u-ma-cated.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:09 PM

Sorry to hear that this happened. It's been happening to quite a few folks lately. You hit the nail right on the head though, these incidents are primarily happening because people don't have respect for the little nuances that go along with driving a RWD car.

Fortunately, if there's no body damage, then the repair job is a simple "take bad parts off, replace with good parts" and you should be good to go.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:14 PM

Yeah, thanks Uncle Fester.

Doesn't look like there is any subframe damage, just parts.

Perhaps the silver-lining is this will give me an excuse to get some aftermarket rims.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:24 PM

Damn, that really sucks, i agree we all sometimes take it for granted and get a lil crazy when we should leave it at the track. Well get ur new wheels!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 06:43 PM

where would you take it to get it fixed?
what parts would they replace?
guestimated cost? for parts? for services?
Old 11-07-2003, 07:26 PM

When I wrecked my S2000, I shattered my left-rear brake rotor, tweaked the half shaft, and demolished the wishbone and control arms. It looks bad, but don't worry - suspensions are designed to fail catastrophically to prevent frame damage. The suspension takes most of the grunt.

Anyway, the price Honda themselves quoted was absurd. It was actually cheaper for me to go aftermarket. (Well, it's possible. I, however, went with race KONI's so it actually turned out more expensive.) In the end, all I ordered from Honda OE were the body panels that I screwed up. The rear end and half shafts, as well as suspension pieces, I salvaged from a pick-a-part junkyard. Talk about cheap.

Your best bet would be to get a few estimates and a few reputable collision/drivetrain shops, then to compare those prices to what's available in the aftermarket. If you know what you're doing, have the tools, or have the time, I'd advise installing the suspension yourself. Labor rates these days are atrocious - $70-100/hr.

As for your wheels, now would be a good time to install those wheels you've always wanted. You'll pay out the ass for an OE replacement.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:30 PM

>>where would you take it to get it fixed?
>>what parts would they replace?
>>guestimated cost? for parts? for services?

I'm going to start by taking it to the Honda bodyshop, I'll see how many arms and legs they'll charge me. If it's too pricey, I'll shop around some more.

I'm not sure all the parts that will need replacing. All I saw was that the rim got smashed and bent and that the control arm and axle looked a little out of whack. That's all I could tell as the tow truck pulled my baby away.

Cost? Parts? Service? That's what I'd like to know. I'm probably looking at around a grand or so (I guess). I know some peeps who may be able to get me a discount on parts, but I don't think that'll go too far.

I'll be dwelling on this all weekend until the shop opens on Monday. Not a great way to start the weekend.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by alexf20c
When I wrecked my S2000, I shattered my left-rear brake rotor, tweaked the half shaft, and demolished the wishbone and control arms. It looks bad, but don't worry - suspensions are designed to fail catastrophically to prevent frame damage. The suspension takes most of the grunt.

Anyway, the price Honda themselves quoted was absurd. It was actually cheaper for me to go aftermarket. (Well, it's possible. I, however, went with race KONI's so it actually turned out more expensive.) In the end, all I ordered from Honda OE were the body panels that I screwed up. The rear end and half shafts, as well as suspension pieces, I salvaged from a pick-a-part junkyard. Talk about cheap.

Your best bet would be to get a few estimates and a few reputable collision/drivetrain shops, then to compare those prices to what's available in the aftermarket. If you know what you're doing, have the tools, or have the time, I'd advise installing the suspension yourself. Labor rates these days are atrocious - $70-100/hr.

As for your wheels, now would be a good time to install those wheels you've always wanted. You'll pay out the ass for an OE replacement.
We'll see how big a kick-to-the-wallet the estimate will be before I decide what avenue to take parts-wise. Is the salvage yard really a good source for S2000 parts? Ultimately, I have a feeling I'll, at best, go with aftermarket rims. I don't really feel like switching out many other OEM components now. And I'll probably only go with new rims if I have to replace more than one. Unfortunately, I'm not cool enough to fix it myself...inept when it comes to real meachanical tasks.

Can the collision shops recondition rims at reasonable prices (i.e. cheaper than replacing)?

Sorry to hear about your ride. Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation with the repairs. Hopefully, I'll be able to get my car tip-top again with as few headaches as possible.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:13 AM

BTW, if you are not ready to jump to aftermarket rims, the honda ones come up regularly in the "for sale" forum.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:19 AM
Former Moderator

at least you are alright.. cars can be fixed..

Quick Reply: Spun out...hit curb...on top of curb...damage