S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

spun out

Old 06-05-2006, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spun out

A female neighbor and i went out and ran some errands together in my S. I was turning into a road that had a downhill to it and no one was behind me or in front of me so i gave it gas and the car did a 180 right in the middle of the road. oh yeah it just rained a lil too. Thankfully i wasn't close to any objects to hurt my car but WOW it shocked the hell out of me. My neighbor is also a speed demon so she and i were laughing so hard afterwards. Most of the time when i spin the back out it'll correct it self when i let off the gas but this time gravity worked against me.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:51 AM

Careful man.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:56 AM

hey btw...where in Tampa do you live???
Old 06-05-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be very careful. When you lift off the throttle on a tight corner, you're asking for mad oversteer.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fitzysdelsol,Jun 5 2006, 11:50 AM
Most of the time when i spin the back out it'll correct it self when i let off the gas but this time gravity worked against me.
You must be living on another planet that does not share the same physics as Earth. When you let off the throttle, the weight is transferred to the center of the car, away from the drive wheels, thus losing traction. Braking would be even worse. When you lose traction in the rear, countersteer and apply throttle to keep the weight in the back of the car so you can regain traction and straighten yourself out.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:10 AM

I love how everybody has an answer on how to correct oversteer. It's funny.

Anyway, please go to an auto-x or several so you learn the limits of your car. The S does not forgive.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:18 AM

Plus you were going downhill, MOST OF THE WIEGHT IS ON THE FRONT WHEELS, alot less on the rear wheels. Hence the rear end coming out easily.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by glagola1,Jun 5 2006, 12:10 PM
I love how everybody has an answer on how to correct oversteer. It's funny.

Anyway, please go to an auto-x or several so you learn the limits of your car. The S does not forgive.
Are you saying that I'm incorrect?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by afwfjustin,Jun 5 2006, 12:18 PM
Are you saying that I'm incorrect?
I'm saying that there is never a "single" answer for correcting an oversteer condition. If this dude was to follow your advice exactly he would have probably done a 360 and crashed into the curb or what ever. There is no way you'll get any kind of usable weight transferby applying power to a wet surface that the car is already sliding on. This applied power, especially in the hands of a novice driver, would simply further reduce the traction and prolong the slide.

He probably did the best thing he could do in this situation. He shut it down and stopped thus limiting the slide and the forces contributing to it. It's obvious that the entry was way too hot and a spin was inevitable.

There is a point of no return/ no saving a spin. This point can be crossed before the spin even actually occurs. This happens in the corner entry. Basically, if you come in too hot, you're hosed because the available traction is only capable of generating a force lower than the enertia that's pulling the car in the direction the car was traveling before the turn. Solution: brake early and power out... at least until you have the skill to know a maximum corner entry speed for the given turn and conditions.

Thottle modulation is key to saving a spin and both lift and acceleration can save a spin that's not too far gone. It's impossible to say which one would have worked in a given situation with out actually being there and feeling the car and often times, you'll need both depending on the over-correction. Shoot, it usually happens so fast that you don't even have a chance to think about it. You just have to know the car. That's why I suggested an auto-x or several.

Peace out homie.

Matt
Old 06-05-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by glagola1,Jun 5 2006, 09:44 AM
I'm saying that there is never a "single" answer for correcting an oversteer condition.
Amen to glagola1.--- what he said

Quick Reply: spun out