S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Spun out!

Old 01-29-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun out!

it was cold, I gave too much gas, lost control of my S then went into a curb @ 30 - 35 MPH 90 degrees into the curb which is about... 4 inches high.

From anyones experience... what do you think I need to replace?

Passenger Front: Popped the tire, took off the wheel and noticed the upper control arm was a little messed.

Driver Side Front: Crazy Negative camber... must be -45 degree camber? that side is totally messed both upper and lower control arms are done

PAssenger Rear: Looks pretty straight but the tires poped as well

Driver Side Rear: a little toed in and negative camber.

Other than the control arms... what parts are usually replaced??

Thanks!!
Old 01-29-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ohh god...if it is THAT bad, take it to a mechanic or somebody...there are probably LOTS of parts that need to be replaced now. Actually, I would just claim it on your insurance because it is going to be thousands to fix everything. Just by what you've listed I am thinking 6-9k+
Old 01-29-2006, 08:45 PM

Ouch. If you hit the curb hard enough to damage the upper/lower control arms, than you probably bent the rims too. Count on 2 new wheels, upper/lower contol arms, and possibly suspension pieces too.

I hit a curb in my old Integra (black ice, only doing 25 mph on brand new tires) and bent the upper and lower control arms, bent a rim, and blew out a tire. Total repairs were ~$3000. So, if you have to do both front and rear, yeah, $6k+ is a reasonable amount.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by happs22,Jan 29 2006, 09:45 PM
Ouch. If you hit the curb hard enough to damage the upper/lower control arms, than you probably bent the rims too. Count on 2 new wheels, upper/lower contol arms, and possibly suspension pieces too.

I hit a curb in my old Integra (black ice, only doing 25 mph on brand new tires) and bent the upper and lower control arms, bent a rim, and blew out a tire. Total repairs were ~$3000. So, if you have to do both front and rear, yeah, $6k+ is a reasonable amount.
Yep...the it sounds is that he needs to replace all his rims, and probably tires as well, plus many if not all the control arms. Look into axle damage, diff damage, possible steering rack damage (45 degrees camber on the front ) front axles?, the wheel hubs, any body damage that would be associated, sway bars, basically everything suspension related should be looked at. Hopefully the frame is fine, should be, but I can't tell from this
Old 01-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Front 3K
Rear 4-5K
Old 01-29-2006, 09:35 PM

Ouch, that sucks. I'd say take it to a professional with that kind of damage; if the force was enough to damage the control arms, many other parts were likely damaged as well. Hopefully your insurance will take care of you.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one of out local post hores tagged the curb with left rear

if I remember correctly $3500 of just one corner of the car
Old 01-29-2006, 11:08 PM

Basically, check your lower arms, knuckles, and upper arms, paying attention to the ball joints and tie rod. Also check the rear axle. A good shake test will weed out a busted ball joint. Use the opposite side as a sanity check for how each part should angle. Since your camber/toe is already showing signs of being off, yur most likely gonna be spending some time/money on this. But I feel ya, I just got done fixing my front passenger suspension from a curb hit. Replaced a lower arm, knuckle, sway bar mount, wheel bearing (to swap knuckle), and a new rim. Definately use the helms as your bible if you want to go at this yourself.

-Chris
Old 01-29-2006, 11:14 PM

pics?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:54 PM

luckily I have a friend @ Honda who is fixing it for me labor free plus Cost on parts....

Miraculously..... NONE of my rims bent.... I inspected them and they look perfectly round to me, but we'll find out tomorrow.

I just looked @ the -45 degree camber one... I misjudged it... more like -15 degrees... sorry.

Quick Reply: Spun out!