S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

spun out in '05

Old 12-25-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check to make sure the spring spacers are not still attached? If they are, you can probably get Honda to fix it for free.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:10 PM

Lifting (going into neutral) and tighening the wheel into the turn rather than opening up is a sure-fire forumula for spinning this car. I'm still learning since mine is new also, and I just did a track day where I looped it at @60-70 coming our of a right-hander at Moroso. Two things went wrong - I was coming of the apex towards track-out point and had slower traffic that was pointing me by and I tightened my line (steereed to right - inside the turn). This caused the back end to go around and I lifted slightly and steered into spin, but all that did is slow the rotation since I'd lifted. Both feet to the floor I went 90-degrees so rotation was only @190-degrees and 10-15 mph when I hit the infield. No damage but I learned a lot.

You basically did the same thing in first gear, just a bit slower, by tightening to the right. Then lifting, which throws the weight forward and reduces grip on the rear wheels. When taking a turn with the S, open the wheel - meaning use the full arc of the turn (wheel left on a right hand turn) which reduces the likelihood of a spin. In the rain - I treat the car like a granny on the wet going around curves and almost never VTEC it. Use the throttle to point the car - the instructor showed me how to go around without trail-braking and using the throttle to keep it on edge.

I highly recommend getting some track time with a lot of turns - that was the advice I got when I first got this car and I have one day with a great instructor Alfedo C. for 150 track miles. Joshua (CoralDoc) on this site also gave some really good advice and after one track day I've learned I have a LOT to learn depspte driving stick for 20+ years. The track also will slow you down on the streets because you understand better how to drive this the right way. Driven correctly - this car can put enough G force on your head to really throw you over. It is an awesome car that makes you look like a better driver than you are - but you need to learn its quirks on non-public roads. Good luck, get the car fixed - and take some track time to learn to really enjoy the car. Don't knock yourself too-hard for dinging the car - could have happened to anyone and that's how you learn. Happy holidays!
Old 12-25-2005, 01:48 PM

[QUOTE=chrisyi1,Dec 25 2005, 11:59 AM] i was in a turning lane and angled towards the right side to get into the lane to go straight...it's a commonly busy intersection so i gave i continuously gave it some throttle to about 70% throttle..i felt like i was doing a pretty normal acceleration where i wasnt gunning it, but i wasnt going really slow. i usually accelerate like that to about 4500-5000rpm and then shift....right around 4500-5000 i felt the back end shake..i dropped it back into neutral but it gave out and turned clockwise... this really bothers me because i know i didnt do anything and couldnt help it...it was a brand new car and had new tires on it... i waited 4 years to buy this car because of my insurance and finally when it goes down, i buy the car and get in a wreck. hopefully ill be able to pay for damages myself, but it sucks cuz that money couldve gone into mods

it was cold out last night..probably about 40 degrees and the ground was wet. i was in 1st. now im scared to even give it any gas past 3k rpm's in the rain
Old 12-25-2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by chrisyi1,Dec 24 2005, 09:43 PM
only had the car 2 months and so my tires had to have 90%+ tread.....my friends that work at honda warned me saying most of the people they know have spun out in the s2k....

i guess i should have listened...
i was in a left turn lane and my friend told me it might be faster to go straight since the left turn lane was a red light...i changed into the other lane to go straight and gave it about 60-70% throttle...it was gettin to about 4500-5000 rpm when the back end started to fishtail around and then it just gave out on me and spun around clockwise into the curb to the right....

it hit the driver's side rear pretty bad and then the drivers side front rolled over the curb and onto the grass also... the rear wheel was angled outwards so im guessing it broke the "lower control arm" ?? but there was no body damage at all...im guessing its all just the driver's side rear suspension that needs work. anyone have any experience with this and the cost involved??

anything to make me less worried will help

im scared to drive in any wet conditions now...shouldve waited for the 06 with vsa..
LOL... this is EXACTLY what happened to me. My front went up on the curb, and my rear smacked against the curb. My rear end needs totally new suspension, axle, and brakes. I also need 2 new wheels, hence my signature

In my case, I was sliding through a turn when my tires were too cold. Just another story of an idiot screwing around on cold tires Good luck.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by afwfjustin,Dec 25 2005, 06:19 PM
LOL... this is EXACTLY what happened to me. My front went up on the curb, and my rear smacked against the curb. My rear end needs totally new suspension, axle, and brakes. I also need 2 new wheels, hence my signature

In my case, I was sliding through a turn when my tires were too cold. Just another story of an idiot screwing around on cold tires Good luck.
Two years ago, right after we got the car, cold tires got me too. Can't blame the tires though; The spin was caused by a lose nut behind the wheel.

Turning on a wet road while accelerating hard enough to lock the diff makes both rear tires spin; Great fun when done on purpose and controlled, but a sure way to lose it if you let it catch you unexpectedly. Also, as others have pointed out, lifting off the throttle only complicates the problem.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:50 PM

yea. im not trying to blame honda on the car or anything, i love the car. just sucks that it gave out like that...but i definitely learned my lesson. im driving slow as hell in the rain now still love my car though
Old 12-25-2005, 05:50 PM

If this is your daily driver and you don't track/autox with it, get some all season tires. The stock tires are in the cold. My rear gave out twice last month just putting 20% throttle when i was turning...it was about 30F outside. I gained control of the car both times. I have to admit that the track/autox events really helped me learn how the car behaves...
Old 12-25-2005, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by chrisyi1,Dec 25 2005, 09:03 AM
these cars should come with those "warning" stickers like the ones for the airbags..but it should tell u to not go beyond 35% throttle in the rain
Honda should warn you that over-powered rear wheel drive cars with a small polar moment and summer only tires might spin in cold, wet conditions under hard acceleration.

Honda should warn you that rolling a convertible is more dangerous than rolling a sedan.

Honda should warn you that high strung, limited production, six speed sports cars are not Accords.

Honda should probably make you take a sports car theory test before even allowing you a test drive.

Sure.

Sorry about your accident, BUT, PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSE, accept responsibility for your own behavior.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:04 PM

Chrisyi1, I like your attitude. Others WILL blame the tires, or the car, and I just wanted to make it clear that I disagree with that position.

It does suck when the back end washes out unexpectedly. Up to a point it's pretty easy to catch the car and correct, but beyond a certain point we're just along for the ride. When the back end steps out, be sure not to do anything that will upset the balance of the car. *EASE* off the throttle only to the point that the car is no longer accelerating. At the same time, unwind the steering *smoothly* to reduce the demands on all four tires. If the back end is way out you'll have to apply counter steering quickly; In such cases, you need to unwind the steering slowly as the tail swings back in line. It is very easy to over-correct a nasty spin, and that tends to result in an even worse spin in the opposite direction. I often initiate spins when autocrossing, just to get some practice in correcting them.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Barry in Wyoming,Dec 25 2005, 09:58 PM
Honda should warn you that over-powered rear wheel drive cars with a small polar moment and summer only tires might spin in cold, wet conditions under hard acceleration.

Honda should warn you that rolling a convertible is more dangerous than rolling a sedan.

Honda should warn you that high strung, limited production, six speed sports cars are not Accords.

Honda should probably make you take a sports car theory test before even allowing you a test drive.

Sure.

Sorry about your accident, BUT, PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSE, accept responsibility for your own behavior.
Yea, and dealers should scare off customers by telling them that most S2000 owners spin out at least once, and many of them have serious crashes.

BMW and other companies have driving schools, and frankly, if I were Honda ...

Quick Reply: spun out in '05