S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Spun my S on the freeway....

Old 02-03-2004, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun my S on the freeway....

Its raining here on the Central Coast of California and last night was no exception. It was coming down hard and knowing how these cars are not know for their wet weather abilities, i slowed accordingly and drove in the right lane of southbound Highway 101 in Avila Beach. I was going about 52 mph when the car started gliding back and forth in the lane, a similar feeling to high winds pushing on the car around. I backed off a little more and then the back started sliding around pushing me towards the railing of the bridge i was on, then i tried to correct (NO BRAKES!!!!) and the car did a complete 180 spin that had me narrowly missing the car next to me and pointing the wrong way on the road! Traffic stopped in both lanes and couldn't get the damn thing to restart; maybe it was flooded or something. Finally after about a minute, it started up and i drove off extremely shaken but no damage to myself or my car.

My car has newer tires with minimal wear, and i was driving in a straight line. I wasn't speeding and have NEVER had any kind of experience like this in my car before (i got the car last April). I do not claim to be the best driver in the world, but maybe that is something i need to consider because as much as I LOVE this car, I don't feel especially safe in it at times. Now my head is thinking its time to go back to an Audi quattro, but my heart tells me otherwise. Another day in the life of an S2000 owner!!
Old 02-03-2004, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds scary,

I haven't driven the s2000 no more then a week with the stock tires on, I bought snow tires right away. Since I live in NY and had purchased my car late novemember, I really had no experience in Rainy weather with the stock tires. I'm assuming theses tires are not the best for heavy rain. I'm glad nothing happened to you or any cars around you. I'd take it even slower next time in the heavy rain, Sounds like maybe you hydroplaned.

take care
Old 02-03-2004, 07:54 AM

Glad to hear that you and the car were unharmed!

That is REALLY scary, especially since I have the same car as you, with (I assume) the same tires. Can you confirm that you are running the stock S-02's?

Hearing this makes me think about going to a different tire sooner rather than later... I'm about to buy some winter tires, but maybe I should just get some all-seasons like the Dunlop SP-5000 and leave them on year-round....
Old 02-03-2004, 08:01 AM

I wonder if you would have been better off in the center lane? Since most roads usually crown in the center. there's probably less water there, and more on the sides. Just a thought.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:14 AM

RadeRadak,

How many miles were on your tires? My impression has always been that tires need a few miles to "break in" before they give the proper traction. Is it possible that your tires were too new?

I drive my '02 in the rain frequently, and it does feel more slippery for the first 50 miles or so after I put on new tires.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That's exactly the way my car was before I switched tires. Now, not a problem. The wet roads were a
"white-knuckled" experience before I got rid of my original tires. I did not have S02s either, so that wasn't it.

For us Kaleefornians, wet tires are not tooooo important. However, the occasional days that we have rain its nice to know your safe.

I now have some Toyo FZ4s on all corners, and LOVE them. They are harder than the S02, so NOT as sticky. But they are lasting much longer, and have solid grip in poor conditions. Also they sell for just over $100/ea so the price is right. Another note....the Toyos will actually "talk" to you in heavy cornering.....something the S02s do not do. I need to hear the tires to know where the envelope is. The S02s simply don't provide that.

Be safe, and if you do switch tire designs, just make sure you get all 4. Mis-matched treads (front & rear) are absolutely no good.

Hockey
Old 02-03-2004, 08:34 AM
R11

Sounds like maybe you hydroplaned.
That's exactly what he did. If he did have the S-02's then they would be more prone to it, but it can happen to any car with any tire if there's enough water on the road. I would guess that 90% of the "incidents" we read about on this board about people losing control, spinning out etc., could be avoided by paying even closer attention to the conditions being driven in. You just can't drive an S with dry pavement tires like an Audi quattro with all season tires in the rain. When it's coming down heavily, watch out for the standing water! I glad nobody was hurt and no damage was done.

ron
Old 02-03-2004, 08:50 AM

Oh yeah, my tires are Kuhmo Supra Ecstas....has been a very good tire, much better than the stock Bridgestones! Fronts have maybe 2000miles the rears are probably at 5000 miles. Front and back tires are not worn at all as don't drive wildly because my college student budget doesn't allow it. This car has always been SOLID in the rain...driven faster than that before, but i was being extra cautious yesterday as a friend told me he had seen a bad accident on his way home. Just a fluke i guess, but it scared the shit out of me!
Old 02-03-2004, 08:57 AM

That is a strange fluke. Tirerack.com rates that tire as Excellent in Hydro resistance and wet traction. Was there just a TON of water on the road? If so, I guess that can happen with almost any tire, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what car/tires you were driving.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RadeRadak
Oh yeah, my tires are Kuhmo Supra Ecstas....has been a very good tire, much better than the stock Bridgestones!

Quick Reply: Spun my S on the freeway....