S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Spun my car, got in an accident... (long)

Old 12-20-2003, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun my car, got in an accident... (long)

Hey guys,

Now I know exactly what everyone means when this car is bad in wet weather. Usually, I drive like a granny in wet weather after hearing all the stories on here. Last night, I learned first-hand. However, before I get anyone worried, the damage was very minimal.

Basically, I was making a left turn onto a street that goes on for about 250 feet, and then turns into the CA-99 freeway N-bound. I was behind a MPV going like 15 mph in a 35, plus the onramp is like 250 feet long as well. So, I decided to pass him in the left lane of a two-lane st, and then get on the freeway. so we both make the left turn, and he gets in the right-hand lane, and I get in the left hand lane.

I wouldn't say I "punched" it, but I, as obvious, gave my car too much gas. The rear tires broke loose, and my car started drifting to the left, so I let off the gas, but instead of turning into the spin like I should have to regain traction, I tried correcting by turning my wheel to the right. So I overcorrected. So then I try correcting again to the left, and end up in a 180
Old 12-20-2003, 01:27 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

"The rear tires broke loose, and my car started drifting to the left, so I let off the gas, but instead of turning into the spin like I should have to regain traction, I tried correcting by turning my wheel to the right. So I overcorrected. So then I try correcting again to the left, and end up in a 180
Old 12-20-2003, 01:53 PM

cease all communications with the guy. his agenda is now clear, and you will *not* be able to talk him out of it. the only thing that will convince him that it might not be worth the effort to screw you (especially if he and his passengers have to concoct fake stories and injuries) is if he has to prove it to the system. the more time that passes, the more unsure he and his passengers will be; they will not have gone to a doctor to prove the injuries, etc.

very sorry to hear what happened bro. it could've been a lot worse. thanks for the heads-up, and please do keep us informed.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:06 PM

also, please tell us what tires you were running and how much tread was remaining?
Old 12-20-2003, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ugh.. this happened to me on the 17th... no other car was involved tho... the S is superior in dry weather, but tricky during wet... sorry to hear about the jerkoff but just as long as you lived to tell the tale... my brother says
Old 12-20-2003, 03:52 PM

Never hit vtec when switching lane or turning especially in wet weather. You are asking for trouble.

What is wrong with driving your S like granny mobile under sheitty weather?

As far as the other guy complaining about possible medical damage, I would advise you not to speak with them directly again.

Insurance companies will take care of it. If the damage was minimal as you said it was then, I wouldn't worry about them making false claim through your insurance company. They are not dumb. They won't give $$$ to them blindly without investigation.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:13 PM

Ishy!?! Man, you and Melissa are both out now. I cant believe with your granny driving, you did that?!? You must be careful driving. Expecially on the stockers!!! Looks like no Merry X-mas unles you get the bumper

Now for the other guy, it does sound like he is trying to scam you. Did you guys exchange info? Did you file a police report? Unless things are done caerefully, it may turn out to bite both of you in the rear. Careful with scammers too.

Hope to see you back on the road and cruising again.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:49 PM

Ishy, i would offer to pay for his repair.
Make sure he gets 2-3 estimates for you.
I had a guy do that and he didn't want to but asked me for 3000 for his bent bumper.
I called up parts on the car and his bumper came in three parts and the part is only about 200 something.
I told him i can pay him 500 max any more i'll just pay the shop and all he has to do it bring it in.
Of course after two weeks he took the money and left.
I would also tell you that if he wants more then say 1000 bucks make him go thur your insurance.
If he doesn't file i think within two weeks a police report he might even have a hard time getting money
from your insurance company.

well good luck
Old 12-20-2003, 08:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jay yO
ugh.. this happened to me on the 17th... no other car was involved tho...
Old 12-20-2003, 11:06 PM

Rain tires do help alot. I know from experience, these tires areextremely slippery durring wet season. I spin my tail every morning leaving work (when no one is around). Getting experienced incase it ever happens to me on the street.

BTW, those "slippery when wet" signs...were made for the S

Quick Reply: Spun my car, got in an accident... (long)