S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Spoon's Cold Air Guide Duct.

Old 04-24-2001, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember the coming soon offering from Spoon's carbon cold air guide duct that had shared similarity with Mugen's intake duct? Spoon's design lets you off from doing some painstaking installation procedures of Mugen intake.
Whether this Spoons offering will do better job than some of the similar intake tinkering from,
Back Yard Special

Okuyama Carbing

Or even Mugen's is questionable now, but check it out anyway.
These pictures are taken from my friend Toshi's S2000 website. As most of the time, Japanese owners get to try goodies firsthand.

Spoon's Carbon air guide duct.
You can immediately notice how thin where the bending is and may question how this restriction be helpful in achieving moving air. But it may not have much of a negative impact as it seems. This design is necessary from cutting out the portion of the hood like mugens'

Interested anyone?
Will this work or just needlessly empty your pocket?
I say this is very good design and if you do not want to surrender arm and a leg for the Mugen intake, this is as close as it will get.
Old 04-24-2001, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Price????? Would MG be our source?
Old 04-24-2001, 08:11 AM

check this link:

http://www.importdevelopment.net/s2000_engine.cfm
Old 04-24-2001, 08:13 AM

Mingster:

Thanks for the link. How bout pricing?
Old 04-24-2001, 08:16 AM

we can have all these parts;and also we have our own Cold Air Intake in carbon.
Old 04-24-2001, 08:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JMark
[B]Mingster:

Thanks for the link.
Old 04-24-2001, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Giampiero
I have the MG carbon CAI and I think it kicks ass...just from looking at the Spoon version, it may be effective, but it looks too restrictive to me. The MG CAI goes down and scoops air under the car. If you have the Spoon cross brace, the air inlet is between the X on the passenger side. And it scoops down to grab as much air as possible. It's very effective, especially at speed.

Check out this thread...

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...?threadid=11217
Old 04-24-2001, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by gregstevens
Originally posted by Giampiero
I have the MG carbon CAI and I think it kicks ass...just from looking at the Spoon version, it may be effective, but it looks too restrictive to me. The MG CAI goes down and scoops air under the car. If you have the Spoon cross brace, the air inlet is between the X on the passenger side. And it scoops down to grab as much air as possible. It's very effective, especially at speed.
[/url]

Not to doubt that at all Greg, but would it also collect any more dirt, grime and water from underneath, scooping it up? I think a little less debris, although probably the same amount of moisture would be collected from the Spoon. Thinking daily driver here.

Thoughts?
Old 04-24-2001, 09:30 AM

I just wish someone would start testing some of these things! Tell you what folks, I have regular access to a Vericom VC2000 (kind of a luxury model of the G-tech with datalogging, etc.) and I have temperature probes, etc. as well and access to cheap dyno time. Everyone chip in and send me a copy of each intake (except Mugen, sorry, I'm not cutting my hood) and I'll be happy to test them all for acceleration, power and intake temps.

No takers? O.k. :-)

But seriously, all these intakes have good and bad points. From just an outside observer standpoint on performance...

- Mugen: Looks the best of all the available systems right now. Removes the somewhat compromised stock airbox design (which limits the use of the low restriction filter by cramming it against the airbox floor) and provides a nice ram air duct. Not just cool air, ram air. Even at a dead stop, extending the duct forward should provide a temperature reduction. Don't like the fact that it still uses the stock rubber elbow to the throttle body. Conclusion: could be the best performer, but major $$$ and PITA to install.

- MG Racing: Nice big air duct which is a good thing. Minimal restriction there. Don't like the use of a panel filter compared to a cone/cylinder, but it may have about as much useful filtering area as stock considering the compromised setup of the stock airbox. Air should be cooler than stock from a stop, not sure about once underway. No ram effect like Mugen. Conclusion: Should provide an improvement and is substantially easier to install and cheaper than Mugen. Probably won't perform quite as well.

- Intake Plates (BYS, etc.): Trying to maximize the stock setup. Sealing off the path from bumper to the airduct should provide a slight pressurization and reduce intake temps slightly when underway. Won't do much, if anything to reduce intake temps while stopped because temperature testing shows ambient airtemps to be very high even 6" in front of the radiator while stopped. Thus, probably won't help with step off stumble issues. Nice idea and relatively simple to implement. Conclusion: Good idea and probably provides a small benefit commensurate with the cost and ease of installation.

- Spoon: As Randy said, kind of a compromised Mugen setup. In fact, it's like a cross between Mugen and BYS. You get an actual sealed ram air duct, but you retain the stock airbox and get that nasty little pinch in the duct. Ought to perform somewhere between the BYS and Mugen. Might even perform a little better than Mugen at low rpm, but certainly not on top. If priced halfway between the two, it's probably a good buy since no cutting is necessary. Conclusion: Copycat of Mugen, but offers some useful features in exchange for what looks to be compromised performance.

- Open element intakes (Injen, RM Racing, etc.): Well, at least they replace the stock rubber tube with a mandarel bent pipe which is an improvement. And an open element filter has minimal flow restriction. The downside is that they get exposed to lots of hot air. Might look good on a dyno, but... Conclusion: I don't think so.

I'm surprised that no one has yet done cheap copies of the BYS (ought to be able to sell one at $150 and make a profit) or the Spoon. I guess time will tell.

UL
Old 04-24-2001, 09:57 AM

dear UL: well, i wouldn't say "cheap copies", how about "less expensive and improved clones"? LOL.

who said no one is working on a "less expensive and improved clone"?

Quick Reply: Spoon's Cold Air Guide Duct.