S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Spoon seat installation...

Old 05-22-2003, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well we finally installed my Spoon carbon kevlar seats. My friend and I only ran into 2 problems and they were easily overcome. The seat sits very nicely in the car. Infact I have a lot more legroom than OEM seats. That was what I was looking for. In the all the way back position I can't even push the clutch down (I am 6ft tall as well). That was great. Now the car is much more comfortable and has more back support with the seats. The only real problem was the ears of the seat actually pressing up against the door panels. Not really a big deal but to me it was a bit too close. So I re-adjusted the seat and it now just touches it. The other thing was a minor hardtop fitment issue which took 3 minutes to fix. Once the seats are in the car and you try to put the hardtop on, it will not fit properly. So just push your hardtop bars (the locks that attach the hardtop to the car) counterclockwise to about halfway just so it clears the ears of the seats and slowly (with 2 people at least) lower the hardtop back on and secure it. Other than that it was an easy install. I am also running the Takata harness. They were installed before the seats were. I ended up running the harnesses to the trunk of the car where they are secure now. The other good thing was Spoon made space and hook ups for the OEM seatbelt and clip. That worked out nice. So I have the OEM seatbelt for everyday use and the Takatas go on for the show. Thats it. If you guys have anymore questions please fire away.
Thats it for now..
BTW My car will be going in the June car show and you will get pictures then because I don't have a digital camera.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALOHA BROTHER jdms2000. Nice setup, I will be out in Honolulu next month at my folk's place on diamond head near Wialai (sp?) Country Club. I'll pm you, I would love to see your car.
MAtt
Old 05-22-2003, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do the seats feel in terms of support? Also, how much do they weigh compared to stock?
Old 05-22-2003, 01:27 PM

The seat weighs about 10 pounds. Support is great. The thing I didnt like about the OEM seats was they sat to high for me. I am 6ft tall without shoes. With shoes I am 6'1". So legroom was not really there for me.
I did forget to mention if your car is at a 2 inch drop or more it will be a pain to get in and out of these seats since your car is so low it kinda feels like you have to "fall and grab" to get into the seat. HAHA , thats the best way I can describe it to you. The seats are very strong as well...
Old 05-22-2003, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10lbs?!

I can't wait to see some pics!
Old 05-23-2003, 03:54 PM

sounds cool.
how low do they sit? compared to stock seats?
Old 05-24-2003, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by Silvers808
sounds cool.
how low do they sit? compared to stock seats?
They sit pretty low. I am 6ft tall and with the seat all the way back I cant push the clutch pedal all the way in. Plenty of legroom and back support.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:09 PM

Chris: I would like a chance to sit in your car next time I see you. I want to get seats, but would like to know what to expect with the lower seating position and non-adjustability of the angle of the seat.

I got a chance to pick up this seat before Chris installed it, and it is damn light!! (and damn nice looking too, though I don't know how much of the greenish carbon/kevlar you can see after installing)
Just for reference, our stock leather Recaro's are 34 lbs.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:11 PM

Hey Steve let me know when you have some free time. I also picked up the Spoon steering wheel and hub. I will put it on sometime this week. Plus the carshow is coming up in 2 weeks so I am getting ready...