S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Spinning out?

Old 05-09-2011, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinning out?

I've been driving manual for quite awhile. My friend and I decided to test drive each other's S. When I drove, he told me that I shouldn't keep a car in neutral when the car is rolling especially when turning. How I've been driving when I want better fuel economy outta my S is that i get to about 2-5 miles over the speed limit, throw the car in neutral, and let it roll until it I'm getting too slow. Is it bad to turn while in neutral or depressing the clutch while turning? Should the car always be in gear when the car is in motion except when coming to a stop?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put it in neutral sometimes coming to a full stop, but when turning I keep it in gear.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:38 PM

Keep it in gear as much as possible.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keeping the car in gear is a personal safety thing and not a car wear or gas mileage thing.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't think taking the car out of gear is gonna do much for gas mileage considering you speed up and then do it. That makes no sense. You're using extra fuel to speed up then counter it by putting it in neutral. Just stay at the speed limit and you will be ok. It's possible to get high 20's everyday driving. I got 27 mpg out of my last tank and I am NOT nice to it at all, I just do the speed limit.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little lesson on fuel economy.

If you leave it in gear while decelerating, you'll use no gas as the injectors shut off and the movement of the wheels keeps the engine spinning. If you clutch it, you do use fuel, as the engine now needs to idle itself.

Keep it in gear, for safety AND fuel economy.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

Originally Posted by TrboLag

If you leave it in gear while decelerating, you'll use no gas as the injectors shut off and the movement of the wheels keeps the engine spinning. If you clutch it, you do use fuel, as the engine now needs to idle itself.

+1 , keep it in gear and use less fuel and stay in control of the vehicle.

Many years ago I was rolling in neutral down the street when a vehicle in the opposing lane got rear ended unexpectedly and was pushed in front of me. I wasn't in control of the vehicle so I couldn't accelerate around the oncoming vehicle so all I could was brake hard in an unexpected situation. Keep the car in gear and you can avoid certain situations like that.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:30 PM

Alright thanks guys, I will need to break my habit and practice some good ones!
Old 05-09-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can learn heel toe technique for turns(mostly a racing technique, but you can use it for street driving),you'll be in gear(hopefully the right one) and won't disrupt the balance of the car. Just takes time and practice when learning. You'll learn everything as time goes. Good Luck and be safe out there.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by TrboLag

This. Really try and break the habit you are in.

Quick Reply: Spinning out?