S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

speeding ticket

Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruprecht,Jan 20 2007, 02:50 PM
I think the OP might have some sensitivity about such an approach.

If he digs speed like I do, it becomes a part of him personally. A trait of his being. A fundamental of his third eye.

Kinda like telling someone with a big nose that he should get a nose job. Quite frankly, some might consider it a bit insulting. I suggest tolerance and appreciation of their gift.
You're joking, right? The OP has stacked up four speeding tickets in, apparently, a short time, and it's somehow inappropriate to advise him to slow down? Because he might have "some sensitivity" to such an approach? Or because it's a "trait of his being."

Yeah, you are joking. Good one!
Old 01-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=Ruprecht,Jan 20 2007, 02:50 PM] I think the OP might have some sensitivity about such an approach.

If he digs speed like I do, it becomes a part of him personally.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:00 PM

This person asks what he is going to do after his license gets suspended. There is a very simple answer to this. He will be riding his bike. Two pedals and all.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ruprecht is kidding. If you've been following his other posts/threads, he's a staunch conservative.

Deep breaths, everyone.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:57 PM

So if speeding is so bad why is it that in Germany even though they have no speed limits on the autobahn their vehicle mortality rate is less than half compared to the US??? Better drivers??? May be so...
Old 01-22-2007, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GRUNTS2K,Jan 21 2007, 11:57 PM
So if speeding is so bad why is it that in Germany even though they have no speed limits on the autobahn their vehicle mortality rate is less than half compared to the US??? Better drivers??? May be so...
First, let's define some terms...

Speeding... is exceeding the posted speed limit. It's bad because it is breaking the law. If one speeds, one must be prepared to suffer the legal consequences if one gets caught.

Speed... is the rate of the vehicle. A better term is velocity. It's as simple as that.

So your question would be more appropriate as...
So if speed is so bad why is it that in Germany even though they have no speed limits on the autobahn their vehicle mortality rate is less than half compared to the US??? Better drivers??? May be so...
In that case, there are a couple of reasons...
1) Better drivers? Maybe! For one, people in Germany (and Europe in general) are more strictly held to other rules which contribute to better flow and organization of traffic on speed-limitless roads. Rules like only passing on the left and moving right for slower traffic. Let me ask, when was the last time you knew of someone pulled over for passing on the right or not moving right to let faster traffic pass in the US? In fact, some people are catching on to the better practices in other parts of the world and starting organizations like "Drive Right/Pass Left" to better educate people. I hope it works.

Also, keep in mind, though, that most roads in Germany that do have speed limits are enforced very strictly, and as such the limit is generally followed by the masses.

In the US...
- We've got inattentive drivers driving slower than the flow of traffic in left lanes.
- We've got hot-shots driving faster than the flow of traffic passing on the right and weaving through traffic (of course, this person wouldn't need to if there were slowpokes in the passing lanes).
- Because of the two types of people above, we've got people trying to hold their position by tailgating, thus causing very packed groups of drivers at high speed (Ever notice how you're driving in a pack of car all close together and it seems like traffic is heavy, except that up ahead of the group there are hardly any cars and behind the group there are hardly any cars? Stop and think about why that is... Why is it so difficult for people to spread out and drive and a more relaxed and safe manner when there is not much traffic?).
- We've got people that are clueless on how to merge, or that don't look over their shoulder before switching lanes.
...all this makes for dangerous roadways. (Hell, SC has one of the highest death rates in the country, and yet when I tell people that I think people in this state are the worst drivers I've seen in all my travels, they tell me I'm full of sh!t. But the statistics don't lie. )

2) Europe has better roads. We've primarily got long stretches of highway that are only 2 lanes in each particular direction and often roads that are not well maintained. Limitless speeds are not always practical with high levels of traffic on such tight roads, especially when combined the driving habits described above.

Why are people suggesting to slow down? Because in this particular thread the OP has been exceeding the speed limit has gotten him caught at least 4 times in a short period of time. It's a simple concept... If you exceed the speed limit (if you are speeding), you could get caught, and you could receive a penalty. The OP has gotten four penalties. If the OP doesn't want any more, the one way the OP can ensure no more penalties is to slow down to the speed limit.

Personally, I'm all for changing our laws in this country in a way that actually makes our highways safer. If that means that we can increase speed limits or create sections that are limitless because we've begun to enforce other rules, like passing only on the left and moving out of the way for faster traffic, then so be it.

But as it is, we as a society put way to much focus on speed as the only variable to safety.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:00 AM

all I know is I just got a reckless driving ticket a few months ago. Said I was doing 88 in a 45. I was on interstate and appearantly it was a reduced speed zone. I was on my way home and I know I was not doing more than 75. The officer was off duty, but that is neither her nor there. Anyway, I go to court with a lawyer. Mind you this is my first reckless driving ticket ever. I have a +5 on my driving record. I got a $500 fine and I had to spend the day in jail. I live in Virginia