S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

speeding ticket

Old 01-19-2007, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hire a lawyer and slow down!!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:09 PM

^^ Golly, what an original thought...
Old 01-20-2007, 12:11 AM

Gotta love this guy who thinks he's adding to his lifespan somehow by speeding.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by sjrick777,Jan 20 2007, 01:11 AM
Gotta love this guy who thinks he's adding to his lifespan somehow by speeding.

Naw, it ain't about extending the lifespan. Just maximizing the amount that you have been given. Playing a better hand with the cards you were dealt. Strategy. Self-actualization.

Giving yourself some extra sleep in the morning, time for that extra cup of coffee, an extra hour at the beach vs. sitting behind the wheel, fighting traffic.

Getting to work early (yet still sleeping late). Get the jump on your peers at work with an extra 20 mins in the morning and afternoon crunching numbers for the raise, which allows you to buy that house, or toy, or vacation.

How many things do you enjoy doing in life? Pick one. That's what I am talking about.

Lead, follow, or stay in the right lane outta the way.

Gadz...we never could'a got men on the moon with fearmongering like this.

Columbus would've been to timid to discover the new world if he had listened to the 'experts' of his time.

Are we turning into a society of sheep patiently awaiting our spot on the kill line?

I hope not.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:04 AM

I can't believe so many S 2000 owners are preaching about driving slow! Sheesh.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:55 AM

Get a laywer, hope for the best and slow down
Old 01-20-2007, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2004S2000 @ Jan 19 2007, 11:07 PM
All these people saying 20 miles over is too much without knowing what the posted speed limit was!!! Also, without knowing how rediculous enforcement can be in Wisconsin and MN.

Contact the National Motorist Association. www.motorists.org

Ken
Let's see, how would one define what is too much?

Well, for starters, by law anything over the posted speed limit is too much... Right? So, does it matter what the posted speed limit is?

But breaking the law and getting penalized for it can be two different things, which brings us to enforcement.

Since the objective of the police is to enforce the law, and the law is to NOT exceed the speed limit, is it really ridiculous to think that a person going 20 mph over the speed limit could get a ticket?

Is it ridiculous that VA considers 20mph+ over the posted speed limit not just speeding, but reckless driving, in which case the offender gets additional points, and higher fine than a speeding offense alone, and an even greater increase in insurance premiums?

Is it ridiculous that little towns such as Blades, DE stations sheriff's deputies at all the inroads to pull people over for 2 mph over?

It's all at the discretion of the local law enforcement. IT'S THEIR JOB! If one chooses to exceed the speed limit, one must be prepared to deal with the potential consequences.

At the point the OP had received three tickets, maybe he should've taken a hint and slowed down before receiving a fourth.

Originally Posted by Ruprecht @ Posted: Jan 19 2007, 07:02 PM
If u gots an S, u gotz the need 4 Speed.

Must drive faster all the time faster. Faster is good and what's right.
I can agree that speed can be fun or thrilling, but to say that 'faster is what's good and what's right" on public roads is NOT a complete statement.

With greater speed (regardless of the posted speed limit) comes greater risk. Simple as that. There is always a point past which one is just out of control. A speed limit is society's attempt at keeping people within control. At the point that someone gets hurt/killed because of excess speed (again, regardless of the speed limit), faster wasn't what was good or right, was it?

Your car is a time machine, it can take time away or give you extra time during your life. Example, cutting 10 minutes off a one-way trek to work by letting the S do its job saves you:

20min per day
1hr 40min per week (assuming 5 day work week)
86hrs 40min per year
108.3 days over the next 30 years

When you are 80 (or age "X") and lie on your deathbed, please remember all the time that you pissed away by not speeding.

At that point in your life, a single precious day can make all the difference and you will know in your heart and soul that you threw 108 infinitely valuable days directly into the garbage.

But, you were a good citizen and did your part as a people's warrior against the evil demon what is speed, something that most folks won't care about, and you certainly won't care about as you pray for just one more breath, one more chance to see a loved one, one more smell of a fresh morning, or the sound of the ocean, or a spouse's smile.
Excellent logic!

I also spend a LOT of time at redlights. I'm going to start driving through those.

Again, with increased speed comes increased risk (regardless of the speed limit). Keep in mind that speed can end your life, taking away more time on this earth than you'd save by speeding.

Live every single day to the max. It could be your last.

Bon Appetit.
Living your day to the max can make it your last. What's worse, living YOUR day to the max, could make it someone ELSE's last.

Originally Posted by Ruprecht @ Jan 20 2007, 04:27 AM
Naw, it ain't about extending the lifespan. Just maximizing the amount that you have been given. Playing a better hand with the cards you were dealt. Strategy. Self-actualization.

Giving yourself some extra sleep in the morning, time for that extra cup of coffee, an extra hour at the beach vs. sitting behind the wheel, fighting traffic.

Getting to work early (yet still sleeping late). Get the jump on your peers at work with an extra 20 mins in the morning and afternoon crunching numbers for the raise, which allows you to buy that house, or toy, or vacation.

How many things do you enjoy doing in life? Pick one. That's what I am talking about.

Lead, follow, or stay in the right lane outta the way.

Gadz...we never could'a got men on the moon with fearmongering like this.

Columbus would've been to timid to discover the new world if he had listened to the 'experts' of his time.

Are we turning into a society of sheep patiently awaiting our spot on the kill line?

I hope not.

Originally Posted by slowroll @ Jan 20 2007, 10:04 AM
I can't believe so many S 2000 owners are preaching about driving slow! Sheesh.
Who's preaching to drive slow?

The OP broke that law, got caught, and now has to deal with the consequence. Some call this "you gotta pay to play," but I personally don't subscribe to that philosophy.

All people are saying is that if the OP didn't want the tickets, the OP shouldn't have broken the law (in this case speeding) and/or the OP should've taken more precautions against getting caught.

I can't say that I don't speed. However, the frequency and extent of my offenses are dictated by maintaining the safety of myself, my passengers, and the general public around me and by minimizing the chance that I get caught.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shrike,Jan 20 2007, 12:29 AM
Oh my god, I'm agreeing with 2heaty.
I hate to say it, but I do too. I don't agree with his delivery nor his grammar
Old 01-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=shrike,Jan 19 2007, 09:29 PM] So, I was counting the posts that just told the OP to slow down, rather than answering the (very politely stated) question, which was pretty clearly about the legal ramifications of what he'd already done.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sabre,Jan 20 2007, 11:02 AM
How is telling someone to slow down unnecessary and rude?
I think the OP might have some sensitivity about such an approach.

If he digs speed like I do, it becomes a part of him personally. A trait of his being. A fundamental of his third eye.

Kinda like telling someone with a big nose that he should get a nose job. Quite frankly, some might consider it a bit insulting. I suggest tolerance and appreciation of their gift.

Quick Reply: speeding ticket