S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

SpeedCraft Turbo intake

Old 11-15-2001, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SpeedCraft Turbo intake

Hey guys i was looking at the pictures from chris and is it me or that intake is too close to the engine. Look at it it looks like theres going to be hot air going in.
Old 11-15-2001, 06:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's intercooled. It don't matter.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:37 PM

Actually all turbo kits i have seen they try to keep it away from the engine or if its too close they put a heatshield or somesort of a box.
Old 11-16-2001, 12:29 AM

Is it possible to put a ram air or cold air intake on the turbo?
Old 11-16-2001, 04:55 AM

Again, it's intercooled. No point in ram air. Also, if you'll look at the pictures, you'll see there aren't alot of options because the space between the motor and that wall to the left (as you're viewing the car from the front) isn't very big. And there is a heat shield on the turbo.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:46 AM

Excuse my ignorance here....an intercooler cools the intake temperature down. If your intake is taking in hot air(100 degrees), the intercooler cools it down X degree's. If your intake takes in cooler air(CAI, 90 degrees), & your intercooler cools it down the same X degree's, wouldn't this be even better?
Old 11-16-2001, 12:35 PM
Banned

It probably wouldn't be a noticable difference, as the (breaks out calculus knowledge) temperature decreases, it decreases less per amount of time, with it cooling down slower as it gets closer to the outside air temperature. I believe the graph looks similar to 1/x. From what I hear, the intercooler gets the air pretty close to outside temperature, so it wouldn't be noticable if the intake temperature was actually cooler to begin with. The only way to really notice a difference is if you could keep the air from heating up between the intercooler and throttlebody.
Old 11-16-2001, 01:30 PM

i have to agree with s2kfanatic theres a reason why every turbo setup out there got the intake away from the engine. why take hot air while u can take colder air. My mechanics has seen pics from the setup and they very impressed besides the intake. they all say the same, is common sence to keep it away from the engine. actually they said that is taking in the same temperature as the stock intake, cause is taking hotter air and is been intercooled to the stock temperature, but if you put it away from the engine with a heatshield. and slap a intercooler then u getting performance gains with colder air.
Old 11-16-2001, 01:42 PM

Until someone measures the actual temperature leaving the intercooler this is all moot. If the intercooler actually does bring intake air temperatures down to near ambient then it really would be useless to tack on more hardware to reduce temps any further.

Anyone know any good intercooler information sites?

Temin
Old 11-16-2001, 04:07 PM
Banned

It does help to keep the turbo cool....but apparently the guys who designed derryck's kit didn't feel that was a problem...

Quick Reply: SpeedCraft Turbo intake