S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Speed limit rant

Old 06-04-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justind,Jun 4 2010, 04:55 PM
you could just drive the speed limit and not get tickets
The problem is too many divers get too mad when you're 7 mph above the speed the limit. I'm afraid to think what response actually going the speed limit would bring out in these crazies.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by justind,Jun 4 2010, 04:55 PM
you could just drive the speed limit and not get tickets
I do that. No way am I risking getting another ticket; however, I sympathize with the lot of you who are saying that other drivers seem to get annoyed by your following the speed limit. I once got honked at by a semi-truck as he slowly crawled past me on a 3-lane highway without any other cars around. I was doing 65; he must have been going 66.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Valentine One, FTMFW.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:14 AM

I feel you on that. Speed limits are set excessively low for most roads, and people are pulled over more for standing out than actually speeding. I was meeting my parents for dinner one night, and pulled behind the minivan my mom was driving. Going exactly the same speed as her, several cars were passing us. Cop pulls me over, gives me ticket/lecture/etc. Said I was driving almost 40 over the speed limit based on visual estimation and all.

Fought it in court. Having my mom testify is probably the only reason I beat it though.

I think for my next ride, I'm gonna turbo a minivan or something.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 AM

The problem is not you, the problem is not them, the problem is not even the speed limit. The real problem is that there are to many varying styles of driving. You have the workers, who are in a rush to avoid getting late to work. You have the leisurely drivers who take their time. You have the bastards who think there driving on the autobahn. You have Grandma and grandpa who drive like, well, grandma and grandpa. You have the student drivers, who drive, well, like students. You have the kids, who...well, you get the point, etc etc etc.

There is no wrong way and there is no right way of driving as long as you stay within the confines of the law. We need to respect each others driving styles, unfortunately. As my father says, "you'll never succeed at teaching anyone how to drive properly."

And yes, driving the speed limit will get you a lot of the bad attention. I was on the highway in my S, the clutch was slipping. I really couldn't push the car much faster than the speed limit. A u-haul truck pulls up next to me (mind u, i'm on the right lane of a four lane highway-traffic was sparse) and paces at the same speed as me, naturally I thought he was admiring my ride. I wave hello to the bastard and than he proceeds to pull ahead and swerves into my lane, MOFO tried to run me off the MOF-ing road.

Well, that's it, sorry, I turned your rant into my rant.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2slow2Bfurious,Jun 5 2010, 09:31 AM
Well, that's it, sorry, I turned your rant into my rant.
With you all the way.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:02 PM

Saw just another trap today (different road) on my way home - 2 local officers on the side of the road and of course right on the bottom of a steep downhill slope. I had to hold the brakes to keep it at 30. The worse part is that they were laughing and having a great time while they held their radar guns!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife,Jun 5 2010, 06:44 AM
Valentine One, FTMFW.
That's only a half solution around here (and in any place where laser is used).
Old 06-05-2010, 06:51 PM

I'm the guy that drives slower if you honk or tailgate me. Wrd.

or throw pennies out my sunroof, see if you tail gate me then mother****er.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many roads that should have higher speed limits.

Quick Reply: Speed limit rant