S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Speed Limit Poll

Old 08-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya thats awesome that Texas is getting 80 for interstate travel but i fear well never see that in florida becase traffic citations are a HUGE sorce of revenue for alot of the local policing agencies... which does explain why they dont like the idea of limits being raised. I definitely agree with raising penalties for those morons who feel they need to be on a cell phone in the interstate doin 55 in the far left lane, like give them a stiff penalty that a speeder would get, that would also motivate the cops to enforce it.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe in montana or something they took away the speed limit on some of the lone roads for some time. There was a little hick in accidents but then it settled back down to the norm and then went BELOW the normal accident rate. They were saying the spike up was from people trying out the new no speed limit but then after the whole "shock" went away it settled down.

I think speed is not a major contributor (sp) to accidents in the US. Sure in some cases it is, but most cases it is something else...like stupid people behind the wheel being distracted fiddling with something.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

arn't there portions of road in Colorado that still have 80mph limits? There were last time I drove through in 99!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Aug 24 2006, 11:28 PM
I think speed is not a major contributor (sp) to accidents in the US. Sure in some cases it is, but most cases it is something else...like stupid people behind the wheel being distracted fiddling with something.

Unfortunately, it very easy for police to monitor and enforce speed limits. Plus, with the use of radar...they have instant proof of a speeding violation if it goes to court. Very simple and easy...

On the other hand...trying to figure out a driviers mental capacity is alot more difficult and much harder to prove in court. Also, I can't imagine a police officer trying to justify(in court) giving someone a ticket for going "under" the speed limit. Especially, if he has been there all day prosecuting speeding violations.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:18 AM

I like how they have minimum speeds in some states

but if I were in charge, the min/max speeds would be 60/80
Old 08-25-2006, 08:54 AM

If getting a license required skill, we could tolerate higher speed limits. Unfortunately the secretary of state gives a license to just about anybody that can afford a speeding ticket.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:01 AM

Dumps up to higher speed limits !!!!

Cant wait till PA goes up !!!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

big tall cars that have crappy suspension like Ford Explorers should stick to 55 mph. Cars that can actually handle the higher speeds shouldn't be stuck getting tickets because of idiots in SUVs flipping and spinning.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:16 PM

Lots of research indicates that there's a balance speed for a given stretch of road that people determine independent of the law, based on their comfort level, road conditions, visibility, etc.

A few papers have urged setting the limits at something like the 80th %-ile of the natural speed. In addition, increasing the limits doesn't shift this distribution radically. I think the initiative in TX is trying to "re-center" the limits on what people are actually doing. A very pragmatic idea, considering most laws require a large proportion of voluntary compliance anyway...

I second the motion to start heavily fining dawdlers in the left lane - this creates a huge hazard.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by trustbran,Aug 23 2006, 08:08 PM
try livin in Guam....the speed limit is 40 and there are pot holes galore! On the plus side there are a ton of island hotties
it's s2000 hell

Quick Reply: Speed Limit Poll