S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Spark plug recall / time to complete

Old 10-03-2002, 07:25 AM
Zot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug recall / time to complete

Is it just me or does 3 hours seem like an extrordinarily LONG time to take to change out 4 sprak plugs? I mean its 4 plugs. Removal on the cover and wires, drop a rachet down in there, take them out, correctly gap the new ones and put them in.

I went to Honda today and they told me it will take 3 HOURS !!!!

A monkey could do this blind folded in less time.

Am I missing something here?
Old 10-03-2002, 08:12 AM

My dealer did it in 30 minutes w/o an appointment
Old 10-03-2002, 08:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Folks have to realize that while it may take 30 minutes to complete. A dealer will always tell you longer so they can do it at their own pace.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:27 AM

I stopped by the dealer in the morning on my way to work and he asked for the car all day.Since I was unable to do that he suggested comming back around 3:00pm because things are winding down and he could squeeze me in.You may want to try something like that Zot.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:16 AM

I did it myself so I know it's done right. 20 minutes. The dealer only sees my vehicle for MAJOR work, I can do the rest myself.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:52 PM

All day, 4 hours, etc. are, in my opinion, totally unacceptable. What happened to customer service?

My dealer completed my change in less than 30 minutes and gave me something to drink while I waited.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:12 PM

what you guys don't realize is that the mechanic has to cool down the aluminum head. This takes at least an hour, with a fan blowing directly on top of the engine. If the mechanic does not cool the head before the spark plug removal, he will strip the threads on the aluminum head. They must be cooled down. It is in the manual
Old 10-03-2002, 03:48 PM

The Honda service departments are reimbursed .60 hours which equates to 36 minutes under warranty claims.

However, the three hour time frame is acceptable if you were to walk in with no appointment. You'd be considered a "wait job" and they'd put you in the bay as soon as they could make time.

I think that Eddie at Jim Coleman Honda in Clarksville, MD completed my spark plug TSB in about 15 minutes while we chatted it up. There was no "cooling down" period, unless you consider the 15 minutes or so I waited to get the car in the bay.

Make an appointment so that you can take it in at a particular time when they're free. It shouldn't take more than an hour to get in and out.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had it done today. Took 1 hour from the time I handed them the keys, with an appt. They did not wash my car either (didn't have to). I even took off the spark plug cover for them!

I think they let the car cool down so that the engine isn't piping hot. The colder the better for accurate torque. That's why I wanted to do it myself, but they wouldn't go for handing over the kit.

If it would take 3 hours, I hope they told you ahead of time!
Old 10-03-2002, 08:51 PM

i wanted to do the recall for sometimes now. but the thing is that i never receive any letter from Honda can i still drop the car in and will they do it for me

Quick Reply: Spark plug recall / time to complete