S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

SOS or ACT clutch replacement

Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOS or ACT clutch replacement

I'm wanting to replace my clutch soon. A few details on my S: 70k miles, daily driven, 00" ap1 (clutch buzz), totally stock for now. Future plans: intake, exhaust. Not thinking about going FI. I've came down to the Science of Speed Sports Clutch and the ACT HDSS. Also, thinking about getting a lighter flywheel. From what I've researched there has been good and bad for the toda flywheel and competition clutches.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had an ACT clutch and was happy with it. If you have clutch buzz I would think that the dealership should still honor the TSB for it and fix it for free.
I had a light weight flywheel installed in my Z (eight pounds lighter) and disliked it. I felt like I lost a lot of low-end torque.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:20 AM

i've read around and alot of people likes the ap1 flywheel and keeps it. if i were to install a lighter flywheel it might just be the sos 11.5 lbs. i think the prolite act flywheel at 8.6 lbs is too light for a DD.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why use an aggressive pressure plate if you're not going FI? I'd just get any lightened steel flywheel and stock disc and add a stock pressure plate or the Mugen pressure plate.

Never read anything bad about the Toda flywheel. The Toda kit, that includes the flywheel has had some seriously bad reviews for buzz.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its your dd, then you dont really need a lighter flywheel. im dont mind my act HDSS and *lb flywheel. but my roommate who also DD his car but does the occasional spirited driving said he did not like my setup.

if you just want to DD the stock is perfectly fine. i actually like my stocky with maybe a ap1 flywheel. but i am semi-aggressive so that wouldnt work for me.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:14 PM

Anyone know of Honda honors old TSB's for the clutch buzz?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:13 AM

So far theres been alot of good talk about the ACT but how about the SOS?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 AM

when I had to do mine in my 01 I went with a stock clutch, mugen pressure plate, and toda flywheel. It felt great for pedal feel, and the light flywheel was really nice.

I believe the car had some ACT clutch setup in it when I bought it (the pp was yellow...) clutch was super heavy and ended up coming apart on me throwing a spring out of the assembly causing a need to get the setup mentioned above.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:31 PM

I've got a mostly stock AP1 with the Spoon pressure plate and Spoon lightweight flywheel with a stock friction disc. Perfect setup in my opinion. The engine revs up faster, but it does take a little more effort to get the car going from a stop. Worth it to me, maybe not to others. The Spoon PP makes the clutch engage so much harder than stock, but the pedal feel is lighter than stock.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM

I have the 8.6 lb ACT flywheel (stock clutch and PP), I wouldn't have it any other way. I came from the 22 lb garbage truck flywheel and it honestly isn't any harder to drive for me. The only issue is you have to either shift very quickly or blip the throttle a bit between gears to shift without jerking due to the quicker pace that the revs drop at.

Mechanically, I'm pretty sure there is no way that a flywheel could decrease the torque output of the engine. A heavier flywheel "smoothens" the power delivery in the low end, but it does not in any way increase torque. It does, however, reduce power to the wheels.

Quick Reply: SOS or ACT clutch replacement