S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Something is seriously wrong with my S and I need YOUR help finding the error.

Old 11-24-2002, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is seriously wrong with my S and I need YOUR help finding the error.

My car has always been really smooth when stepping out with the back end or when dropping the clutch at a standstill, always spinning the wheels really smooth. But recently my S has been starting to
Old 11-24-2002, 04:36 AM

Perhaps the weather is different now or you have enough tread worn off your tires, but I believe the hop is due to the tires attempting to find traction, then losing it, resulting in a vibration that runs up through the suspension causing the hop. Or perhaps your suspension bushings are worn to the point now where this hop can occur more easily. Wheel hop used to be a chronic problem with the Quad-Four equipped front-wheel-drive American cars back in the 80's. I would like to hear more about this from anyone with some real knowledge of the situation.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose it could be a bad shock allowing this rapid movement that would have been contained previously. While not a scientific test, try bouncing each corner of the car by hand to get a feel for how each corner responds. If one of the rear corners remains in motion longer, that should point to the culprit.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New clutch from the TSB? There is a break in period for the clutch - between 2-300 miles. This isn't to point the problem, but to tell you not to dump the clutch just after leaving the dealership with a new one.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:57 AM

I forgot to mention that my tires are badly worn and are going to be replaced this coming Wednesday and that the winter is beginning here in Sweden with approximately 5 degrees Celsius outside. But shouldn
Old 11-24-2002, 07:09 AM

I think it is the cold or the worn tires, or a combo of both. I used to get crazy amounts of tire hop in my e36 M3 in the cold. Simply mashing the accelerator at any speed in first gear would just make the car hop. New tires and a little warmer weather (for more consistant traction) made this go away. Check your tire pressures too.

One thing to remember, make sure you lift off the gas when the car starts to hop. You do NOT want to stay in the gas when the car is hopping, you can really break stuff!
Old 11-24-2002, 12:03 PM

I
Old 11-24-2002, 11:32 PM

Seriously, am I the only one experiencing this problem??
Old 11-26-2002, 10:02 AM

The more worn a tire is the less grooving is on it (water chanels are lower) and therefore more tred is on the pavement actually giving you more traction. The more worn a multipurpose tire is the more traction you actually get (this is why nascar, formula one, drag use slicks no grooves = more traction). Therefore I think it is a combination of shocks the cold and more traction.
Good luck finding the problem.
Caveat, I am not a mechanic.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:22 PM

Get new tires for it, that should fix the problem. But you might want to drop the air pressure in the tires a few psi as just a temporary fix. It should dampen the hop, and vibration enough to make it bearable.

Quick Reply: Something is seriously wrong with my S and I need YOUR help finding the error.