S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Something is seriously wrong with my car... (Please read on...)

Old 05-24-2004, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is seriously wrong with my car... (Please read on...)

Yesterday, I was driving down to Celebration, FL for their 1st Annual Exotic Car Show and while on the highway driving there I noticed that the car wasn't handling quite the way it should. It seemed to be wondering from side to side. At first I thought it was just the wind blowing the car around. So, after we leave the car show, I immediately notice that the car's alignment is way off now. The steering wheel isn't straight, and when I do straighten it out, the car pulls hard to the left. Prior to yesterday, it's always been perfect. Further more, I began to notice that when I pushed in the clutch to shift, the car would drift to one side or the other, usually it's to the right. Later on yesterday afternoon, I took the car out to wash it, and while driving to the self-serve car wash that I always go to, the problem persisted, and again this morning during my drive to work. Ever since I noticed the alignment being off, it seems like the problem has gotten worse as well. If I didn't know better, I would say that the car was in an accident and hit something, but I know that's not the case. I just can't for the life of me figure out what in the world has happened. The steering feels just like my 2001 Eclipse's did after I got into an accident and ran it into a few curbs. In that case, the lower control arm on the passenger side was damaged which was the obvious cause, but like I said, my S hasn't been in any accidents.

Does anybody have any kind of idea what in the heck the problem could be? I'm really kind of aggrivated about it, and at the same time, concerned, so any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Brian
Old 05-24-2004, 06:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try resetting the power steering and EXU...
Old 05-24-2004, 06:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you check tire pressures? Loose lugnuts? Bent wheel?

Or even better, why are you continueing to drive the car with such problems? Get to an alignment shop.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ruexp67
Did you check tire pressures?
Old 05-24-2004, 06:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ruexp67
Did you check tire pressures?
Old 05-24-2004, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by MacGyver
Try resetting the power steering and EXU...
EXU? Pardon my ignorance, but are these things that I should be able to do myself, or will somebody with a little more expertise need to handle this.

Thanks again!

Brian
Old 05-24-2004, 06:46 AM

I would lay money on the tire pressures. I had the same situation when one of my rears picked up a nail and was leaking slowly.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:55 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

EXU = teh ECU.....the "C" key and the "X" key are next to each other on the keyboard.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Need4spd28
Old 05-24-2004, 07:07 AM

I say it sounds like a tire going flat, especially when you say it pulls to one side during shifting. Have you recently hit any memorable pot holes or anything that left a lasting impression of a hard jolt while driving. Its hard for an alignment to be fine one day and off the next without hitting something. But as for tire leaks all it takes is a thumb tack, it can also be hard to tell if a tire is slack in pressure with low profile tires that have stiff sidewalls. It also sounds like a belt could be busted in one of the tires causing one tire to grow in diamater, thus causing the car to pull to one side or the other. I would first off check the air pressure before taking it to the dealership and paying for them to tell you it was something simple.

Quick Reply: Something is seriously wrong with my car... (Please read on...)