S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Something I noticed with window protector

Old 10-22-2001, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something I noticed with window protector

I have both the Muz window tube and the well matt. I had been installing the tube by simply laying it in the curve of the window after I had already lowered it about half way and smoothed the creases from it. This method kept the dreaded horizontal crease from appearing at eye level, but I was plagued by a disturbance in the window material that distorted my view of any traffic on my six. This past weekend (beautiful in metro Atlanta!), I tried pushing the ends of the protector up under the edges of the canvas on either side of the window. Viola! No more disturbance right where I need to see rear traffic. I guess the tube helps keep the window pulled tight horizontally, thus preventing any weird distortions. I've learned so much from the rest of you, I hope this helps anyone else who may have had a similar problem.

Mike
Old 10-22-2001, 09:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

That window protector is good for 5,000 miles, after that the window self adjust itself to the normal shape thus preventing it from creasing.
Old 10-22-2001, 09:12 AM

I've tried both methods, but I don't seem to get consistant results. The crease is definately gone, but the window sometimes seems distorted.
Old 10-22-2001, 09:15 AM

I talked about this a long time ago.

The tube does NOT get rid of the horizontal creases (distortion).

If you put the tube in and look at how the window folds, there's nothing easy that will be able to keep the plastic from bending sharply at two folding lines when you put the top down.

All that the tube does is it guides the plastic window from forming the "vertical" creases that sometimes happens when you put the top down and the plastic doesn't fold properly in the initial steps of the top folding.

You can easily remedy this problem by getting out of the car while the top is halfway down and straightening out any creases by HAND. You look anal enough getting out of a car to mess with some plastic, but imagine yourself getting out of the car, popping the trunk, getting this long tube thingy and trying to put it into place so it stays put before the top completes its operation (might as well get rid of the six-second power top).

The tube is a worthless item and an unnecessary extra step for the S2000. Yes, if I had a Miata with a plastic window I'd get it because that thing folds in half when you put the top down so it makes sense to have a tube smack in the middle of the fold. However, for our cars, it simply is not the case.

Just being honest here.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:56 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

yawn
Old 10-22-2001, 09:04 PM

Did I say something wrong?
Old 10-22-2001, 10:08 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WRS2K
[B]..................................

Yes, if I had a Miata with a plastic window I'd get it because that thing folds in half when you put the top down so it makes sense to have a tube smack in the middle of the fold.