S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Someone hurt my S...E-Brake wont hold after driving with it partially up!!

Old 11-29-2003, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone hurt my S...

Ok, so today I let a friend drive my S and the person drove stick alright, I didn't really have a problem with that. They drove along, normal driving wasn't too bad. I felt like the car was moving kind of slowly, I didn't know what the problem was. They drove a good 5 miles maybe. Then when we got back to my house I said, to pull over on the side, I would park it up in the garage (since it is pretty high up on a hill). I get in the car and I lower the hand break.... it felt kinda loose... I raised it up again and it was really loose.... So then we realized that the hand break had been partially up the whole ride!!!

I think I'm screwed. The hand break still feels pretty loose. The foot break feels good, but I'm worried that my breaks might be shot now and that the hand break won't hold on a hill or something when I park it. Has anyone done this before? What kind of lasting effect does this have? Should I go get my breaks replaced soon?

As long as I'm reaching out for help.... Has anyone heard like a high whistling or hissing sound when they reach VTEC? I'm thinking it may be the air filter (stock), but I want to hear from others to see if they may know exactly what it is.

Thanks all!
Old 11-29-2003, 01:20 AM

Well, I know someone else has done this with the handbrake, so you might want to do a search to find out. I'll edit your title to include it so it gets more attentions though.

As for the whisteling, it may be the intake (you have an aftermarket or stock?). Or do you have a SC/Turbo and not know it
Old 11-29-2003, 12:12 PM

LOL. No, I don't have a SC/Turbo. I wish I did! It's just bone stock.

Thanks for changing the topic for me.

Edit: Shoot, I tried to search through the forums to see if anyone had the hand break thing and couldn't find anything. Can someone please let me know what kind of damage this could have done?
Old 11-29-2003, 01:09 PM

Hope this helps:

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...emergency+brake

Old 11-29-2003, 09:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I see you have an '00. Are the pads original?
You need to check to see that you have adequate brake pad thickness. The "service limit" on the rear pads is 1.6mm. At this thickness, they must be changed. I can't imagine that even driving 5 miles will knock off a critical amount of pad surface but that depends on how hard the hand brake was set.
If you have enough brake pad material left, do the following:
-Remove the center console, loosen the parking brake adjusting nut, start the engine, press the brake pedal serveral times to set the self-adjusting brake.
-Raise the rear of the vehicle and support it securely.
-Make sure the parking brake arm on the rear brake caliper contacts the brake caliper pin.
-Pull the parking brake lever up one click.
-tighten the adjusting nut (in console) until the parking brakes drag slightly when the rear wheels are turned.
-Release the parking brake lever fully, and check that the parking brakes do not drag when the rear wheels are tunrd. Readjust if necessary.
-Make sure the parking brakes are fully applied when the parking brake lever is pulled up fully (between 9 - 13 clicks).

You may have lucked out.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-30-2003, 08:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

THANKS MARCUS! I was hoping you'd do that.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:20 AM

Old 11-30-2003, 12:19 PM

You can always count on him for pix!!!
Old 11-30-2003, 12:56 PM

I've got some good ones...

Quick Reply: Someone hurt my S...E-Brake wont hold after driving with it partially up!!