S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Some White Pride (no not that kind)

Old 01-16-2001, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems by far White is the rarest color for the S2000 which is interesting considering its a Honda. Anyone who is a Japanese car enthusiast knows White is the "racing" color of choice in Japan. It seems like in all the group gathering shots I've seen, Silver and Red are abundant, while black is sparse, and white its downright rare. I wonder if Honda consciously made white more limited. It might just be a product of supply and demand, since it is a sports car, and red seems to be the color of choice (at least in the US), and Silver is like the trendy color of the last half decade... It's same with the NSX too, white ones are just plain hard to come by... My bet is Honda is protecting this dear color, so it doesn't become played out, and make it special to those who really appreciate japanese imports...
Old 01-16-2001, 05:17 PM

According to what I've seen in Hyper Rev black is the most rare in Japan... ??
Old 01-16-2001, 05:25 PM

Speaking of racing colors, anyone have any more to add than:

Traditional National Racing Colors
Japan: White
USA: Blue
England: Green
Italy: Red
Germany: Silver
Old 01-16-2001, 06:25 PM

White is indeed rare... and the best for this car... IMO. But enough of the the pointless discussion of which is best. White is best for me, and no discussion is going to affect that.

But your question about why so rare.

My dealer told me that for MY 2000, the dealers had to select their colors in advance for the whole year. He said that they just ordered traditional sports car colors, and that silver was originally the leader in their book because most of the best pubilicity photos were of silver cars. He added red cars because they were naturally sporty and demanded. Black he said... 'because there is a large contingent of guys that just have to have a black car'.

In the case of my white car, he said..." I just filled in one white on the form to see what it would look like". He went on to say that he didn't think it would look any good but was stunned when he saw it delivered to the showroom from PDI. He lamented not getting more, but for MY 2000 it was too late for him.

Nonetheless, when I was in there last week to buy another car, we struck up the color topic again, he said that the pattern continued in new requests. He said that all the ads have silver cars so everyone wants one. He said nobody can visualize the car looking great in White. They only love it when they see it. Thus, no new orders for white.

To each his own. I think there is more to this silver than just the ads. But I think the dealer's perspective is interesting. Buy what sells. Period.

On racing colors... I thought France was blue, and the US was white and blue? And England is not just green, but British Racing Green .

Dan