S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Some idiot girl hit my car and she don't have insurance?

Old 05-13-2003, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ltweintz
[B]Actually...police reports don't mean much.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ltweintz
[B]Your own insurance will cover it.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:26 AM

lostsol - The girl may have been excluded from the policy. This means that if she is involved in an accident, it would not be covered. Short of going to small claims court, which you'd probably prevail, you should have filed a claim with your own insurance company and have them handle your damages under your collision coverage. You will be responsible for the deductible. In turn, your insurance company will pursue the other party. Since the accident was not covered, they will pursue them directly. I'm not sure about the insurance laws in TX but in CA, the company I worked for had the ability to not allow a person's driver's license to renew unless this matter was paid for or taken care of. Assuming, the other party decides to take care of the damage, you should be reimbursed for your deductible. In CA, a not-at-fault accident should NOT cause your insurance to go up. It doesn't sound like you checked with yours. Get in touch with your companies customer service department and find out for sure. Again, I'm not familiar w/ TX insurance.

Basically, you're paying a premium for your insurance, USE IT. A lot of people are mislead or afraid because their premium may go up. So is it better to spend money and get nothing for it? This is exactly what your insurance company is there for. Unless, you have some quacky, off-the-wall insurance company, the "Big Guy's" (State Farm, Allstate, GEICO, etc.) usually handle their policy holder's pretty good.

dbjb - Police determine fault not liability. The insurance companies determine liabilty. In this case, if the girl was legally excluded, that policy is not liable for this accident, making this an uninsured motorist case.