S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Some idiot girl hit my car and she don't have insurance?

Old 05-12-2003, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get quotes from different body shops, pick one assuming you may have to pay for it. Keep all the paper works, then take her to small claims.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Women seem to get away with everything don't they
Old 05-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Former Moderator

Truthfully, this might just be me but for $475 I wouldn't go through all the trouble of small claims court. I'd have a lawyer right a letter and make some threat like I was going to do something involving the legal system to get them to pay. If they don't pay the full at least get what I can out of them and if not anything just take it in the butt and pay the $475 myself. I don't have the time or the patience for small claims court and all that. Like I said this is what I would do. (90% of peopel probably don't agree but I have better things to do than taking all the time off work and such for under $500. If anyhtign else I might have insurance get involved as your premiums shouldn't go up from it as long as you have a police report showing it wasn't your fault.

Good luck,
Karim
Old 05-13-2003, 04:22 AM

Member (Premium)

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally posted by lostsol
From what I hear cops hate to come out in small accidents. All they do is tell you to switch information. And I was tricked, (I have never been in an accident so I don't know what to do) she calls her mom on my phone and her mom said that she had insurance but the card was not in the car. But she gave me the policy number and phone number. Then it turns out the driver is not covered.
This probably depends on the cop. I was hit in the rear in my CRV and the damages didn't look too bad. Later that day my wife reminded me how I have always told my kids to get a police report. I called and met with the cop who proceeded to tell me I was foolish for not havinig called right away. Everything turned out ok, but as the cop said, "calling the police to the scene (especially when you are sure you are not at fault) protects you. If you call and the other party leaves, they are leaving the scene of an accident.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by RedY2KS2k
If the driver was excluded from the insurance coverage, then one of two things must be true. Either the owner knowingly allowed the excluded driver to operate the car, which is against the law. Or the excluded driver stole the car, which is also against the law, an would have to be prosecuted as a criminal offense. I think the conversation should be along the lines of which of the above is the case.
He's right! It was either stolen or she was given specific permission to drive it. You might try doing an online search to find out if there is a law (in addition to simply driving without insurance) against a person knowingly allowing an uninsured person to drive a car. Georgia has a search engine for all of the laws and Texas might too. With enough "stick", she might see that it's in her best interest to pay for the damages. If not, small claims court is not big deal. You case is open and shut compared to one that I filed and won. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2003, 05:36 AM

about it being illegal to drive without insurance...in some states its not illegal. I know in NH it is not required.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:19 AM

Go through your insurance. What do you pay them for? For stuff like this. They are professionals. They deal with stuff like this everyday and you pay them because they know how to deal with situations exactly like your in.

I also carry a disposable camera in every car I have. I learned my lesson a few years back. Get some graphic proof. It's very hard to dispute.

Just my $.02.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:23 AM

similar situation happened to my fiance last year. some lady was cutting across the mall parking lot and broad sided her. the police refused to file a report because it was private property or some BS. but we took pictures to show that my fiance was in the lane, and the car that hit her was perpindicular to the way traffic should have been going. later we find out that the lady did not have insurance. our insurance covered everything, waived the deductable, and then went after the other lady for us. it turned what i thought would be a big headache into a situation that went rather smoothly
Old 05-13-2003, 07:21 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

A well worded demand letter on a law firm's letterhead will do wonders to encourage the mother to write you the bigger check.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:57 AM

Do you have her address? If your getting screwed anyway, might as well put brick through her window and give her something to pay for too. At least then you're even and you won't have to think about it anymore. What goes around, comes around.

Quick Reply: Some idiot girl hit my car and she don't have insurance?