S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Solution to plastic window haze

Old 01-19-2002, 01:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey kids..........

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT USING THIS ON YOUR REAR WINDOW

Utah

P.S Please let us know how the window holds up Seb
Old 01-19-2002, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez, am I dense. I've been using that stuff on my windows for a year. I certainly smells like it has alcohol in it, so I'm not going to use it on the rear window. Plexus has been working just fine for me.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:03 PM
pll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3M plastic cleaner and plastic polish will remove the haze and it's safe on plastics.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Utah S2K
Hey kids..........

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT USING THIS ON YOUR REAR WINDOW

Utah

P.S Please let us know how the window holds up Seb
My Thoughts Exactly!

Give Invisible Glass a small sniff, what does it smell like? Ammonia!, just like Windex. As far as I can tell, Invisible Glass is pretty much Windex (water with a little bit of highly diluted ammonia).

I use Invisible Glass on my *glass* windows, but only because it's a little more convenient to carry around in my trunk than a leak-prone bottle of Windex. I would Never use either product on my plastic window.

Have you ever seen a Miata with a yellowed plastic rear window that is cracked and covered in duct tape? That's becuase ammonia and soft plastic windows do not mix.

If you want a clear window, you should use the tried and true method. Meguiars plastic polish (#10) or the plastic cleaner for deeper scratches (#17) once every 4-6 weeks. (The 3M plastic polish works just as well) Use Plexus in between to keep the window clean. Used together with a Muz mat or towel in the rear window bay and your window will remain clear as glass. (btw, a quick search of the board would have turned up all this info.)
Old 01-19-2002, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by s2ktaxi
Only problem is Plexus on its own does not remove the plastic haze very well.
I thought this too until I realized that I wasn't using enough.
Old 01-19-2002, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jschmidt
I thought this too until I realized that I wasn't using enough.
I use ONLY Plexus and use a heavy spray the length of the window right down the middle. Buff it off with a microfiber towel and the window is crystal clear. The key is heavy spray and the microfiber towel makes the job much easier. Plexus was designed to clean and protect plastic, no wonder that it is the best!
Old 01-19-2002, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by boiler

I use ONLY Plexus and use a heavy spray the length of the window right down the middle. Buff it off with a microfiber towel and the window is crystal clear. The key is heavy spray and the microfiber towel makes the job much easier. Plexus was designed to clean and protect plastic, no wonder that it is the best!
Yes, this is exactly the successful method that I've found by trial and error.
Old 01-19-2002, 07:04 PM

2 questions...where can you get plexus and what's your definition of a microfiber towel? i've only used 100% cotton for anything that touches my car!!!
Old 01-19-2002, 07:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hallerma
Old 01-19-2002, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by boiler

The only problem with just using Plexus is that it will not always remove heavy hazing from the interior of the rear window. I tried lots and lots of Plexus to remove this hazing with no luck, but the Meguiar's cleaned it right up. Heavy hazing typically occurs after the car has spent time in the hot sun with the top up. The hazing is caused by offgassing from the interior plastics as they leach into the window. As I understand it, most offgassing occurs when a car is fairly new.

Plexus and the Meguires products are available at motorcycle and boating shops. Or from Classic Motoring, where I buy mine.

http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/gl...---plastic.html

Quick Reply: Solution to plastic window haze